Regular Contributor

One of my local news stations gives the gas prices. However, they not only mention the name of the gas station with the lowest price, they also name the station with the HIGHEST price too. WIth the economy what it is, I feel bad for the station listed with the highest price because I know there are people, example my grandfather (depression era kid) who will drive 3 miles to save 4 cents.

Valued Contributor

Hi @fuzzball76   My brother used to say of my brother in law... "He'd spend a quarter to save a nickel."

@fuzzball76 wrote:

One of my local news stations gives the gas prices. However, they not only mention the name of the gas station with the lowest price, they also name the station with the HIGHEST price too. WIth the economy what it is, I feel bad for the station listed with the highest price because I know there are people, example my grandfather (depression era kid) who will drive 3 miles to save 4 cents.

Honored Contributor

On my 5 mile drive to and from work, I pass 7 gas stations. The one closest to my home has the cheapest gas, usually by a penny or 3. The one closest to my office has the most expensive gas on this side of town and is, on average, 30 cents more than everyone else. Back when gas prices were higher, it would be as much as 45 cents higher than everyone else.

One day I had the low pressure light come on in my car leaving work and stopped there to refill my tire. They have the BEST air machine in town. It has a much easier to use cable, it's lighter than others, and it takes credit cards. (No one in town will give you free air with a fill up anymore. Shameful!) So now I don't have to worry about carrying quarters around for air.

I went inside the convenience store and it's got a huge selection of wine and healthy snacks you'd find in a boutique grocery store.

The walls are covered with pictures of employees and customers and notes of appreciation, like you'd see in a community general store.

I could never figure out why anyone would pay so much more for gas if they didn't have to, but now I can at least appreciate the place as being a more unique experience than the average gas and convenience place.

But I still won't buy gas there. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

My uncle, may he rest in peace, used to cross state lines for cheaper gas. New Jersey is always cheaper than Pennsylvania. He loved a bargain, but I think he just enjoyed going for a nice long drive.

Respected Contributor

I live within a half-mile of a couple of gas stations, both of which I pass on my way to work.  These stations are also near the on/off ramps to the highway that runs through town.  Such stations typically have higher gas rates than stations further away from the highway.  The station I like to go to is out of my way, farther from the highway, & I can get a little discount using my grocery store loyalty card.  However, it's right next to one of my credit unions with a drive-up ATM, so I try to go for gasoline when I make my cash runs.

Respected Contributor

I've never noticed gas prices 

on local news but I've seen free local

apps with up to date gas prices 

for your location.

šŸ˜Š

ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ Please adopt don't shop ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ Save a life adopt a pet ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢