Honored Contributor

I am not surprised at some people shopping at Walmart's and mot wearing masks.  I rarely shop there and I'll leave it at that.  However, if I did and I saw people without masks and no one enforcing this, I wouldn't shop there.  Common sense.

Hiding behind the word freedom is a poor excuse and reason for putting other's in harms way.  

Respected Contributor

I have seen a few businesses in PA that have signs outside their building sayings  masks required if you don't have one please call for curbside service.  that's why I don't get walmart not requiring them even if for health reasons people don't have to wear them so it really can't be enforced.   But I think more people would comply.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Fifty countries are currently mandating masks. I wonder what makes some people in this country think they're so special. Unless you can't wear one for medical reasons.

@Greeneyedlady21 

Our men and women in uniform fought and died so that Americans didn't have to wear masks during a Pandemic.

@QueenDanceALot   You cannot be serious.

@Cakers3 

Me?  Not serious?

(You have read that the argument many make for not wearing a mask is that they are FREE, haven't you?)

@QueenDanceALot   You are way out of line with your comment. 

I'm going to step away and let you think about why bringing in service in the military equates to a freedom not to wear a mask.

And don't bother responding to me; I won't read it or engage.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Walmarts here don't require masks either though employees wear them.  It's another stupid decision by Walmart and people that will extend the life of the pandemic.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Another mask update discussion......Please put "Mask Bashing" in title so people can avoid.

You have the option of not reading further when you see it's about masks.  This is a forum and any post can be made.  You don't have to like it but you can quickly back out of the post if you don't like it.  

Concerns about people not wearing masks tell me the poster can think and might actually be listening to medical and epidemiology experts instead of untrained and selfish people.

Respected Contributor

I don't blame stores for not "enforcing" the mask requirement. Store employees have been murdered for trying to do just that. Last week the (masked) young woman who was checking me out in the supermarket told me that an unmasked person yelled at her to take her mask off. The young woman was completely audible through her mask, so it appeared to be the fact that she was wearing one that enraged Customer Naked Face. That's scary for the employee. I don't want store staff, male or female, young or old, dealing with that.

If the state requires that masks be worn in stores, the state has to provide remedies or enforcement for their policy. They can't fob it off on the stores. Not in this atmosphere. Unfunded mandates are the hallmark of bad government decision-making. That's what this amounts to.

I support masking and social distancing 100%, but pitching hissy fits about people not wearing them isn't going to fix this. It's a long-term situation that's being addressed as if it was temporary, so that mind-set needs to change, top down.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Another mask update discussion......Please put "Mask Bashing" in title so people can avoid.

You have the option of not reading further when you see it's about masks.  This is a forum and any post can be made.  You don't have to like it but you can quickly back out of the post if you don't like it.  

Concerns about people not wearing masks tell me the poster can think and might actually be listening to medical and epidemiology experts instead of untrained and selfish people.

She also has the right to post in these constant posts. Everyone is complaining but what is it accomplishing? The people you complain about aren't reading these comments. So it's just a b**** fest. 

Honored Contributor

From what I understand on the news, it is now mandated that everyone in PA MUST wear masks!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CalminHeart   You are assuming that posters who are not in line with all the threads about masks are not thinkers and do not listen to the experts. 

You are also assumng that posters are listening to untrained and selfish people, a phrase that has worn out its usefulness long ago.

You really took a leap here to denigrate posters who are not all in a twist over mask.

That is unkind and unfair.

And yes, DH and I ALWAYS wear fresh masks, distance, sanitize, wash hands, etc.  I don't need to constantly read about what I am supposed to do.

This "I saw another person without a mask at  (insert location)" is just talk for the sake of talking.

The main issue, however, is the freedom to post on any thread, whether one agrees or disagrees.

Let's please stop referring to posters as ignorant and selfish.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Not mandated but encouraged here.  I do wear one at the hairdressers because I do want my hair done.  Otherwise I run errands without any face covering.  Got an email this morning from the building management where my office is. I am on the 10th floor behind a locked door and they are "encouraging" us to wear masks all day long.  I think not.

A ten-story building likely recirculates the air without filtering out or deactivating (ultraviolet light) the virus particles which is why they recommend the mask at all times. An airborne virus that's in constant circulation in the air makes it much easier to catch the virus. I'm not sure how effective a mask would be even then given the virus size, but that's why they recommend it. Someone with the virus who coughs on the second floor could spread the virus to you on the tenth floor even behind a locked door in a recirculated air system. 

If there's an infectious disease doctor sharing the building, the risks increase even more. Those types of docs tend to draw infected patients to them and the air from their office then finds it's way to you. Most rooms in your building likely have at least two vents. One's an air return, back to the heater/air conditioner and one's an air supply from the heater/air conditioner. The air in your office now is likely a mix of the air from all over the building and not just your air. If the virus ends up in the air supply system, it will just keep recirculating until it either falls out of the air or gets breathed in by someone.

Filters fine enough to trap a virus are impractical in an office building, they'd need to be changed constantly. UV light works, but the amount of light needed varies with the airflow as the virus needs prolonged exposure to the light to die and if the air is moving too fast, it won't get the exposure necessary to kill the virus. UV lights diminish in effectiveness over time also as the light emitted gets weaker. Wearing a mask in a jet, or office building with a shared air supply is probably good advice. Given the size of the virus, it might not help, but it does give you some hope of avoiding infection.

Bear in mind, a lot depends on your location also. There are currently about 2.7 million known cases and the virus has a shed time (infectious period) of less than two weeks. Two weeks ago there were about 2.2 million cases who would no longer be infectious. That would mean that if every infection was documented (and they aren't) there would only be 0.5 million people in the country who "could" infect you. There are about 330 million people in the country. That would mean that you could encounter as many as 229.5 million people and not be exposed to the virus. (You'd have to be absurdly lucky, but it's possible.) 

You have to do what you feel is best for you. If that includes wearing a mask, then fine. If not, then fine. It's your decision to make. This is still a free country. Just be aware of the risks you take in a building (or jet) with a recirculated air system. It's not a huge increase in risk, but it's an increased risk of exposure even behind a locked door.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!