Super Contributor

My sister and I talk on the phone at least every two weeks. I am the youngest of three.Still treated like I am a child.

I am 60 plus.

Last time we spoke she mentioned my 3 yr old grandson looks like he needs braces, she thinks he has buck teeth.

I was floored she said this I told her he doesnt have bucked teeth.  It really ticked me off. I got off the phone ASAP before I said something I would regret. I don't talk about her grandchilden. If I told mey son he would be really mad. It would only cause friction in the family. We live 300 miles apart so its not like I see her often.

How would you handle this situation?

Honored Contributor

Re: how would you handle this

[ Edited ]

What exactly do you think needs to be handled?

How about letting her have her opinion, and pay her no mind.  Ignore it.

Honored Contributor

Forget it.  Don't tell your son.  And do your best to move on from a stupid, unnecessary opinion inartfully expressed.  Go have a great day!

Respected Contributor

I would never repeat her remark to anyone, it is hurtful and as you say, not true.  Is your sister experiencing any dementia or memory issues that are causing her to make remarks like this?  If this remark is out of character for her, I would try to just brush it off and change the subject.  

If she is just being cruel and continues with this behavior I would probably try to avoid talking with her.  Who needs that in their life?

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

I'd ignore it.  She gave her opinion, you did not agree.  What more is there to do?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Some people are just plain rude....I suspect this isn't the 1st time your sister has said something that has upset you.  I would consider the source and not say anything to anyone about this comment.  After all it is nothing but a opinion...you didn't ask for her opinion so I would toss it in the garbage can!  In your mind so to speak LOL!

Honored Contributor

@crazered   Your sister was out of line to say anything. To keep peace, I'd say nothing to her or your son. Just ignore it. BTW, braces aren't put on baby teeth. They fall out anyway. They're usually put on when permanent teeth are in and the child is approaching puberty...ages 11-12 (unless there's unusual circumstances). The jaw is not fully developed and the orthodontist cannot judge how and where the teeth need to be adjusted. 

Respected Contributor

Ignore her.  She's trying to raz you up. Next she'll tell you he's a bad driver 

Honored Contributor

Did she say what she based her decision on?  A picture or on the web or what?  Could be that if the position he was in could make him look that way.

I think she meant well.  Forget it and dont mention it to anyone.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

If you felt like you absolutely had to give her a reply of some sort yet still remain noncommittal, I would have said something like, "That's a decision I'll leave up to my son and his dentist when the time is right."