Trusted Contributor

Re: how would you handle this

The BEST thing to do is what most others have said - ignore it.  HOWEVER, if you feel you absolutely must say something (although I know you shouldn't), here is a response to your sister:  ARE YOU GOING TO PASS THAT ALONG TO YOUR NEPHEW?  I'm certain she would never, ever say that to your son, so yeah, she's just offering her unwanted opinions to you.  We all have at least one of those people in our families.  

Honored Contributor

I know I would have laughed.  That is really funny.

Three year olds have baby teeth.  They will be replaced by secondary teeth in a few years.  There is no way to know if secondary will come in straight, crooked or whatever.  

A comment about a three year old needing braces for buck teeth is hysterical.  What?  Does someone have a crystal ball to look into the future?

I had two children who wore braces.  Their baby teeth were perfect.  Their secondary teeth were not.  

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

My relative told me I had a scrawny, stringy neck.   I bit my tongue and didn't mention HER quadruple chin(!!)

You really don't need enemy's, you already have one in a relative. I'm not allowed to write on here what I would have told her, I'm sure you can guess what that is. 

Respected Contributor

I would've laughed and said "ok, well - if that's something the dentist recommends in the future, I'll let you know. And since you're so concerned, I'll be happy to let my son know that you offered to pay for them".  I'm pretty sure that would put an end to it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Tell her @crazered  you will deal with that when your grandson grows up quite 

a bit.

Tell her maybe she can start saving some money if he needs them then because

they cost a fortune then maybe you will hear click and she will hang up!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

My relative told me I had a scrawny, stringy neck.   I bit my tongue and didn't mention HER quadruple chin(!!)

You really don't need enemy's, you already have one in a relative. I'm not allowed to write on here what I would have told her, I'm sure you can guess what that is. 

Heck, I would have said, "Why don't you give me a couple of your chins so my neck doesn't show and we'll both look better." One less holiday card and place at the Thanksgiving table, but no great loss, I suspect.

Respected Contributor

That's her opinion, so, let her have it.

Sometimes, people's comments are so trivial and insidious, they're not worth responding to.

That one only deserves an "ignore".

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@crazered Ignore her, she's a pain and you already know that.

IF you need to respond in the future, just ask "Do you know that baby teeth don't need braces? Did ya, huh huh?" And then laugh like h * e * l * l !!

Respected Contributor

I find it best to ignore toxic people.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Valued Contributor

Families can cause stress.

I would ignore it because at 3 yrs old they are not usually the permanet teeth.

Orthodontist would not be adjusting a three yr old's teeth.