Honored Contributor

Re: how drug store prices vary

@kcladyz drugs from Canada are exactly the same drug from exactly the same drug company as the USA. A few years ago I purchased Voltaran gel at walgreens it was $64 and I needed a Rx. My canadian friend said it is OTC here and sent it to me for $12 including postage.It was exactly the same - same brand - exactly the same container.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Many people here are REALLY MISSING THE POINT. The point is that in the USA the drug companies are taking us all for a huge ripoff ride.This could be controlled by the government but it won't be because the big drug companies control congress by making huge donations to both political parties. Then the drug store chains also make a hefty profit off us. Doesn't it bother you that in Canada the exact same drug from the exact same company is 1/10 the price ? It certainly bothers me!

No, they are making sure they are cutting costs for the consumer. It all trickles down and when the exact same med is available at 1/10 of the price, it is just common sense to take it. No one needs to take 1 pill ...those drugs are for convenience only and come at a greater cost to the consumer. The rip-off is the drug manufacturer who charges outrageous amounts of money for a brand name drug.

Honored Contributor

Glyburide + metformin in separate prescriptions= Glucovance in the same dosage.

Swallow 2 pills ...problem solved. Inexpensive and works identically as Glucovance.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Many people here are REALLY MISSING THE POINT. The point is that in the USA the drug companies are taking us all for a huge ripoff ride.This could be controlled by the government but it won't be because the big drug companies control congress by making huge donations to both political parties. Then the drug store chains also make a hefty profit off us. Doesn't it bother you that in Canada the exact same drug from the exact same company is 1/10 the price ? It certainly bothers me!

Canadians ARE paying for it, just not at the point of service. They pay it in their healthcare taxes. YOU are the one that doesn't get it!

Those taxes are no where near the price of healthcare in the USA. Just ask anyone who is paying for their own insurance (instead of their employer paying a big part of the bill). Before I retired I changed my work status to "emergency relief" - I got no benefits so they weren't paying any healthcare for me - they gave me $10 / hr more because they didn't have to pay for my healthcare. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

But but a friend in Canada couldn’t get in for serious heart surgery for a long time in Canada either and finally resorted to getting a doc friend in US to get him in a hospital here. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

My DH takes a drug for his type 2 diabetes called metformin/glucovance.He had no trouble at all when we lived in Pitts. and had private insurance getting this drug.He's been on it for 14 years now. Every time the docs try to change him to a different drug he gets blood sugar crashes.Never gets them on this drug. So - it is not formulary for our medicare advantage plan so EVERY YEAR our PCP has to fill out a form explaining why he has to take this particular drug and submit it to the ins. co. EVERY YEAR. They consider it to be off formulary so it becomes a tier 4 drug. Well, that basically means he has to pay for it out of pocket. We shopped all around , including our canadian friends looked into what it costs up there. It was $160 for a 90 day supply at Walgreens, $90 for a 90 day supply at Winn Dixie if you have a coupon and $16 from Canada.There were others but I can't recall the prices - of course he bought from Canada drugs .com.

Absolutely ridiculous how American healthcare is such a huge RIPOFF. And absolutely nothing being done about it by our government.To just allow such huge profittering .... immoral.

@151949

So you're blaming the drug companies and our government, but ignoring the retail outlets?    If you've ever priced a drug at Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens, you should know they also can have HUGE pricing variations!

Two suggestions ....  first, check Walmart's pricing ... they are the largest worldwide retailer and have the best negotiating power when it comes to prescription drugs.

Second .... as suggested upthread, you need to re-evaluate your coverage during Open Enrollment.    It's very possible you could do better with a different plan.

JMO

Honored Contributor

I take Metformin and have for years. I pay $-0- for a 90 day supply. It is mailed to my house every 90 days.

And I do not have to go to Canada. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

But but a friend in Canada couldn’t get in for serious heart surgery for a long time in Canada either and finally resorted to getting a doc friend in US to get him in a hospital here. 

So he paid for open heart surgery out of pocket here in the USA because he didn't want to wait for vwhat was obviously an elective procedure.Nice to have hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend that way.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I take Metformin and have for years. I pay $-0- for a 90 day supply. It is mailed to my house every 90 days.

And I do not have to go to Canada. 

So do I but my husband NEEDS the additional drug as well.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Glyburide + metformin in separate prescriptions= Glucovance in the same dosage.

Swallow 2 pills ...problem solved. Inexpensive and works identically as Glucovance.

Glyburide is NOT FORMULARY with our insurance company. So the issue would not at all be solved.