Honored Contributor

garden plants causing a rash

My zucchini plant causes a rash on my arm,and hands each time i get a zucchini, i know i need to wear gloves!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: garden plants causing a rash

This happens to me with zucchini and tomato plant leaves!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

My aunt developed an allergy to tomato plants years ago.  It took months to figure it out, and by then she was almost hospitalized. 

Honored Contributor

Yes tomato plant also.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Tomato leaves bother me too!!!

Honored Contributor

I've gotten a rash twice now from trimming the vegetation around my house.  The rash came in the exact same place on my arm.  Both times I was wearing garden gloves as well as long sleeves. 

I immediately put cortisone cream on it, which helped both times. I don't know why that rash is appearing exactly in the same place!  Weird! I"ve never had it before.

Honored Contributor

Another thing to try is some benedryl - I think it's an allergic reaction on the skin to something!  I didn't take that for my rash but have for rashes in the past, as well as insect bites.  Regardint insect bites, it's always helped to not make it any worse and it takes down any swelling.

Honored Contributor

I've been looking for long garden gloves. 

The pampas (sp?) grass (tall feathery plumes) have sharp leaves that 'attach' to the skin and make a red mark.

I'm always trimming the long leaves and end up with a few long red marks along my forearm.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Don't take this as gospel, but I believe that tomatoes are from the sumac family as are poison oak and ivy.

Trusted Contributor

I get the same thing. Not from tomato plants, just the zucchini. What I do is, as soon as I bring them up to the house I wash the inside of my arms with soap and water and pat them dry with a paper towel. 99% of the time that's all it takes. If my arms are still itchy, I'll put a little hydrocortisone cream on them. Hope this helps.