Valued Contributor

Re: front load versus top load

I would only get a top loader with an agitator.  I had one without an agitator for years and loved it -- until I realized that it wasn't gettting our clothes as clean as my old one with an agitator.  I replaced it with a Speed Queen top loader and have been very happy.  This was several years ago and I called a repair person who had been in business for more than 40 years and asked for a recommendation.  She said that the only machine she would recommend was Speed Queen.  I know that they changed their machines (and not for the better -- you can google it) since then -- so I cannot  comment on the newer ones.

Honored Contributor

On behalf of us short people, front loaders rule. 

I have had one for almost two decades (just got another pair).  I have had no such issues with moldy doors.  I do keep the door open until it dries and close it (usually after the dryer run) when it's completely dry again.

No issues at all with either set with one exception.  My first one I did have to check the rubber around the door because occasionally a sock would escape there.  Have had the new one for the better part of a year now and no 'lost' items at all.   

Esteemed Contributor

I have a front loader and I like it. This is my second one. The guy at the store told me top loaders don’t get enough water in them and clothes can come out just like you put them in. Dry. He also said they are very noisy. In fact on each top loader there was a statement saying they would not accept returns because of the noise these machines make. Don’t know if any of this is true but I like my front loader. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't know anyone that likes their front loaders.

Me personally would never own one unless there was no other alternative available because you can't leave anything to soak.

@CelticCrafter   We have had an LG front loader for two years now and are in love with it.  It is so easy to load and unload and doesn't wrinkle clothes like the last top loader we had.

The last Kenmore top loader (like the Oasis models of Whirlpool I think) was horrible from the word go.  It twisted clothes, wound king sheets up in a twisted mess, banged away because anything you put in it was a lopsided load and it would bang then quit.  It was awful and couldn't be fixed.

We do live in a mostly dryer climate, and we have a laundry room and leave the washer door open when not in use, but have had no problems with mold.

It is easier to use, quieter, washes better and so far we have no complaints at all about our front loader washer and dryer.  

Honored Contributor

I have a front loader, and I hate it. Mr Cherry drains the washer regularly, and we always put oxiclean in the washer , so it doesn't smell musty

My next machine will be a top loader

Esteemed Contributor

I have a front loader that I had a love/hate relationship with for a long time. I now like it since I've learned how to use all of the functions and for which load. The best reason for a front loader is the ease of washing bedding and any other oversized items. I have king size bedding and queen size bedding so trying to pull that from a top loader was a chore. 

I'm a big fan of Consumer Reports and checking reviews on line and the QVC Forums. I think that you'll find good and bad reviews on most any appliance. There are sites that list the top 10 best and worse of most appliances so i would start there. Decide on the features that you would like to have and those that you can do without. My two priorites were the king size bedding and the delicate cycle. Compare warranties.Decide on your budget. 

I have a Samsung set and I like mine. 

Super Contributor

I have had a front loading Kenmore for at least 15 years.  It has worked very well as it cleans nicely while being easy on garments.  I’m sold on frontloaders and would certainly replace with another one if this machine ever gives out.  Note...I do leave the door open between uses.  You have certainly gotten a range of opinions!  I hope you aren’t totally confused now!

Honored Contributor

I prefer top loaders and haven't tried front loading machines.

I always leave the lid up/open.

I recall, years ago, reading about the washer's drums.

Enamel or stainless steel were the best, while plastic would collect mold, and odor, if I correctly recall.

So, I would prefer stainless steel or enamel drums.

Also, I like the agitator feature, rather than spinning around and around.

Also, a front loader would require me to bend down, retrieving the damp clothing/bedding/etc.

Well, whatever you choose, first read the reviews for that particular model.

The best of luck with your choice.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Hey, CelticCrafter!

I hadn't thought of that!

I'm forever 'soaking' various items for, say a half hour, then going through the entire cycle.

Sometimes I wash very delicate blouses/tops by hand, and just throw them into my top loader to spin dry.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Top load only in our home. I have seen too many problems relatives and friends had with front load machines. I personally see, nor know any advantages of a front load washer.

hckynut

hckynut(john)