Respected Contributor

My FIL is in a mausoleum and it came up on find a grave.com. There is a brass nameplate on it, so it is just a photo of that, not the actual building where he is.

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23   Have you found that most of the info you found on FindAGrave is accurate?

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Re: findagrave dotcom

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 , they used to discourage it since it's called Find a GRAVE.  However, they do now have a category for non-grave burials which include cremations and burials at sea.  However, some abuse it when they don't actually know where the remains are.  If they have an obit, they'll just post it under that category when they may, in fact, be buriied in a cememtery somewhere.  

They also discourage posting obits identifying living relatives.  However, I send full obits to the Memorial's Manager and let them decide what to do with it. 

Also, if you decide to shorten the name of the site, they prefer FG rather than the other one, although I do use the other abbreviation in my records.  I would hope that someone looking at my records would realize I'm not calling so many people such an offensive name, especially since it is always followed by the Memorial's identifying number.

@Icegoddess   Interesting to see you on this thread.

@Mersha Why?  I think I have mentioned several times that I do genealogy, just not the DNA part of it.

Respected Contributor

Every fall we go to the Smokies and enjoy the leaves changing. There are so many old places there with cemeteries that are almost never seen unless you know they are there. I find them fascinating. Last year we found a couple of graves dated before 1776. Many, many civil war soldiers, and settlers and their families who lived very short lives working to make homes and raise families on open land in valleys and doves throughout the area. I marvel at the strength and determination it must have taken to survive back then. 

Respected Contributor

Obits seem to becoming a thing of the past in newspapers since so few people read them anymore, other than online. Years ago the newspaper would get the death and funeral info from the funeral home and print it on their own. When my mother passed away 10 years ago, if you wanted an obit in the paper, you had to go online and write it yourself...and it cost me $250. I wanted it in the paper since so many of her friends still subscribed to the paper. The only good thing about writing it yourself is you were able to make the info accurate. I have old obits from most of my relatives who passed in the past 80 years...and only a few don't have errors in them regarding dates or relatives names, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Directly from the Find a Grave website Help Section:

What if someone was cremated or does not have a traditional grave? 

Find a Grave supports common alternative dispositions to traditional burial. This includes cremation, burial at sea, donated to medical science and lost at war. If there is an existing cenotaph within a cemetery for someone who had an alternative disposition, do NOT add another memorial under the alternative disposition. Learn more about Non-Cemetery Burials.

@Trailrun23, you can use obits from online.  In fact, Find a Grave prefers that you re-type the information if it is from a newspaper rather than posting a pic of the newspaper article itself since those can be so dificult to read.

Can I add a memorial from a newspaper obituary or other third party source? 

Find a Grave does not discourage the legitimate indexing of the deceased through obituaries or other third party accounts. Newspapers represent a very good source of information as a public record. We ask that those who index and memorialize the deceased from newspapers and other third party accounts do so with full respect of copyright, refrain from adding information about living people, and respond generously to the family of the deceased. Find a Grave takes no position on the appropriate timing of submitting such indexes. Please reference our Terms and Conditions and Community Rules.

Honored Contributor

Re: findagrave dotcom

[ Edited ]

@Mersha 

In the rural family cemetery I manage, we allow cremated remains to be buried on an existing grave, along with placement of a small, flat marker.

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Trailrun23   Have you found that most of the info you found on FindAGrave is accurate?

The information I found was accurate but incomplete. Some deceased family members weren't mentioned at all. Mostly those in a smaller church cemetery in a small town. What was there was all accurate in my case.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!