Respected Contributor

findagrave dotcom

[ Edited ]

I am in the process of working on geneaology, once again, and was shocked at the wealth of infomation that is now on findagrave dotcom.

I was surprised to see a high school yearbook picture of my mother along with her "bio."  She was married several times and it listed all of them along with their details.  My grandparents were listed as her parents with enough info that you could check them out as well.

If you are looking for any info about family members, check it out.

Also, they have people in different areas of the country that are willing to take pictures of any headstones that you request.

A lovely gentleman sent a picture of my great-great grandmother's headstone in another state and I was so appreciative.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Yes, there's a lot of interesting information in find-a-grave.  But my brother, who has done a lot of genealogical research, cautions that it's "not infrequently" inaccurate.  The source of the information isn't given and, for all we know, could be some busybody with no relation to the deceased.  I think it's best to use find-a-grave to corroborate information you already have, or to give you new leads or avenues to explore.  

Respected Contributor
@Mersha, I love "exploring" on findagrave! Some cemeteries/graves offer a lot more info than others. I'm one who likes walking through old cemeteries anyway, so this is right up my alley. My mom's birth mother died when Mom and her twin sister were born...I was able to find her grave on findagrave. I also found her dad's & stepmother's graves, neither of which I have ever been able to visit due to distance. I'm not much into geneaology, but sometimes just being able to read someone's death certificate is very interesting. Also something I found to be nice---I can "leave a flower" on someone's page. I don't visit my mom's & dad's graves very often, but I can go to their pages and leave a digital flower & note.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha  My DH uses that website in his research, but as @ValuSkr  states there are some inaccuracies. Historical research is like that. We have gone miles out of our way to stop at a graveyard only to come up with nothing. Not necessarily someone guessing, just bad 'credible' information. Still useful though.

Honored Contributor

going to check into this further, but so far i am having trouble finding a number of my relatives.....no information at all.

i do love walking through cemeteries also, especially in new orleans.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@vermint wrote:
@Mersha, I love "exploring" on findagrave! Some cemeteries/graves offer a lot more info than others. I'm one who likes walking through old cemeteries anyway, so this is right up my alley. My mom's birth mother died when Mom and her twin sister were born...I was able to find her grave on findagrave. I also found her dad's & stepmother's graves, neither of which I have ever been able to visit due to distance. I'm not much into geneaology, but sometimes just being able to read someone's death certificate is very interesting. Also something I found to be nice---I can "leave a flower" on someone's page. I don't visit my mom's & dad's graves very often, but I can go to their pages and leave a digital flower & note.

@vermint  I am so happy that you mentioned the digital flower.  I have been doing the same thing.

My mother and dad's graves are in another state so it really was a source of comfort that I could put that digital flower and leave a message they were my mother and father and were loved.

I found out in my time checking out that site there are volunteers who leave digital flowers and a verse for those having none.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Re: findagrave dotcom

[ Edited ]

@Mersha 

I agree, the website does contain a wealth of information, and has been a great help to  me with my genealogy searches.  

I have been a member of this site for 12+ years and find incorrect information frequently.  I have contacted numerous people who maintain the individual listing in order to get information corrected.  

My biggest issue with this site has been with members who do not live in my area of WV, are not familiar with this local area, but try to sit at their computer in another state and assign this recent obituary info under a named cemetery in WV.   Often times it's not even in the right county of WV!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

If you go to the findagrave website and click on memorials, you can enter the names of your relatives and search in any area of the US and beyond.  

I have found relatives in huge searches that came up with more than 5,000 names, but once I narrowed it down with more specific info, I found the people I was searching for.  

Honored Contributor

It's a pretty neat site. It seemed accurate enough on most of my family but missed an uncle completely even though he had extensive obits in multiple newspapers. It also missed four family members in a smaller cemetery that's out of the way. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Occasional Contributor

I have mixed feelings about this site. 

I was surprised to the picture of the stone where my mom and brother (who died at 28) are. Right on the stone it says "MOM" and "SON." The site originally had them as MARRIED! If you looked at the dates you would think that was crazy! Someone finally corrected it, but took a new picture. The old one was taken during spring or summer, and you could see the flowers DH and I planted. The new one was taken after the flowers had died.

A lot of people see a lovely tribute to their loved ones.

beach-mom