Respected Contributor

here in rhode island we now can renew our drivers licence online . that is awesome. my father inlaw turned 82 this month. because of his age he had to go do it in person. other states may do this allso. good luck all.

Honored Contributor

think it's license

Esteemed Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

here in rhode island we now can renew our drivers licence online . that is awesome. my father inlaw turned 82 this month. because of his age he had to go do it in person. other states may do this allso. good luck all.

hello fellow rhode islander!  another good reason to live in rhode island-a native rhode islander!  didn't know about this-but am glad....have arthritis and it's hard for me to get around-especially at the dmv!  thanks....

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

think it's license

Yes, you are correct.  I understood the post.

That will make it easier to renew.  I wonder though what is lost.  Your picture is outdated.  Granted the picture isn't the greatest, but it's your form of ID.  What about the vision chart.  I'm behind someone occasionally that is too far the right or left.  I wonder if they need stronger glasses, can't drive or are impaired.  I guess time will tell.

Valued Contributor

I have been renewing mine on line in my state for many many years.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1

We have been able to do this for years as long as you have no moving violations since last renew. However, when I turned 72, I could/can no longer do this online. My license now  issued for 6 years instead of 4.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Here in MI you can only renew online once. So every other renewal you need to appear in person.

If you have the enhanced version/border crossing permit, you must appear in person for every renewal.

Honored Contributor

I renewed mine this morning in Virginia.

I believe we have to go in every other renewal according to what it said.  I had gone and had my driver's license converted to the high tech version a few years ago because  TSA was giving me a hard time every time I flew, so I think that's why I was allowed to renew online again this time.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

We've been doing driver's licenses and car registration online for years and we're backward.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Frightening. We have to pass the basic eye exam to get a license. Eyes change over time and should be checked before the state allows someone to drive. Sadly, we cannot count on our fellow citizens to go to their eye doctor every year!