Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Hi @Kachina624      I'm on pretty high ground.....so I'm not expecting a deep water flood...........      But, the idea of a lengthy power failure scares the daylights out of me.     I know HOW to take the garage door off the motor, but I don't know if I am ABLE to hoist it by myself (!?!)   I am a little claustrophobic, and being a prisoner in my own house is unsettling....di

@Desertdi.....maybe you could park your car outside the garage for a couple days.  Yes, those garage doors are heavy.  In the last house I owned, the garage was attached to the house (my bedroom wall), so we had no entry to the garage other than raising the door ourselves.  

Respected Contributor

In August we experienced the worst storm we could remember, including decades of living in tornado alley states. Our rain gauge showed 4 inches, trees down throughout the neighborhood, hail that I thought would break windows. This is barely on my radar but I guess I will watch the news/weather for flooding potential if it’s widespread. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624On the news this AM, predictions were for 2" of rain in AZ, CO, UT, S. CA, and NM. That's a lot of water for areas which don't have the capacity to absorb so much moisture. Stay safe everyone. Turn around, don't drown.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi.  I can easily open my garage door.  There's a counter-balanced weight on it that does most of the lifting.  Just don't open it all the way or you won't be able to reach it to close it.  Also once closed you'll probably want to lock it.  There's a little lever at the top where the string hangs, that you must push up.  I keep an extra cane in the garage with which I can pull down the door with the crook, and push the lever up with the other end.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi.  I can easily open my garage door.  There's a counter-balanced weight on it that does most of the lifting.  Just don't open it all the way or you won't be able to reach it to close it.  Also once closed you'll probably want to lock it.  There's a little lever at the top where the string hangs, that you must push up.  I keep an extra cane in the garage with which I can pull down the door with the crook, and push the lever up with the other end.

@Kachina624    Thanks for the info!     I just had a new opener installed.  I need to go out and take a better look at it.     And read the instructions again.    It's one of those "touch pad" things......and I did NOT let the installer program my car.    Too much "techy" stuff for me.

I already had an incident where the door went up by itself.    I wouldn't have known, except I was in the laundry room with the house door to the garage OPEN (I have a clothes line out there), and SAW it go up.    I might need to call the guy to come back and look at it.

Started raining tonight......but nothing I would call a "storm".    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  Aren't you the smart one to think of this stuff? I'm also going to keep a cane in a garage just in case. Will have to have my son show me what to do since I've long misplaced the directions after having the new doors installed 10-12 years ago. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

Money screams; wealth whispers.