Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

I have never contested a will and doubt that I ever would.  I would think the will was what the person who wrote it wanted.  If I thought there was coercion and could prove it, I think I might contest it.

Otherwise, no.  Why would I want to fight over someone's money/possessions that they didn't intend for me to have?  It would look like I was greedy.  Not a good look...on me or anyone. 

You would be surprised.  Money does terrible things to some people.

Sometimes it is NOT about greed and not about wanting something the deceased did not want you to have.  Sometimes it's about righting a wrong.  There many reasons why a person would consider contesting a will.  

Honored Contributor

Re: contesting a will

[ Edited ]

Be prepared to have your great, great grandkids to be still paying off the court and attorney fees.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

I have never contested a will and doubt that I ever would.  I would think the will was what the person who wrote it wanted.  If I thought there was coercion and could prove it, I think I might contest it.

Otherwise, no.  Why would I want to fight over someone's money/possessions that they didn't intend for me to have?  It would look like I was greedy.  Not a good look...on me or anyone. 

Sometimes it is NOT about greed and not about wanting something the deceased did not want you to have.  Sometimes it's about righting a wrong.  There many reasons why a person would consider contesting a will.  

@chrystaltree, that is true but my reply was in direct response to the post I quoted.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: contesting a will

[ Edited ]

I know that some are rightly disappointed after verbal promises are not kept.  But when there is a large estate, people come “out of the woodwork.”  In one case, a gentleman who had a highly successful career lived an extremely frugal life.  He had no relatives. His will left everything to a highly regarded charity.  Would you believe a very distant relative living in Europe, who I bet he never even met, heard about his death somehow and challenged his will.  The communications were in another language, and we had to use a translator.  I was glad his estate went to his chosen worthwhile charity.

Greed is a terrible thing.

Super Contributor

In my parents' wills, prepared by an attorney, there was a brief declaration that anyone contesting the will would automatically forfeit any potential gain.  Problem solved.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Valued Contributor

So glad I am an only child,so I didn't have to share my parents's estate.My 92 year old uncle died last summer on a Saturday.The bank tellers check obituaries daily.

Everytime the church bell rings ( it has a particular sound)

when someone dies,people in my small hometown go to 2 places where pictures and names of the departed are displayed.

My uncle left a small amount in his bank account just for funeral expanses.Since his bank account was frozen and my cousin (who had power of attorney) couldn't access the money,2 other family members had to sign a document stating we didn't want his inheritance.

I was very skeptical about signing that document,because my uncle declared bankrupcy 15 years ago and lost his house.I was scared I would have to pay his debts.

He lost everything when he co-signed some documents regarding my cousin's restaurant .My cousin's husband was spending all the money instead of paying bills.

This same uncle didn't give his brother some hundreds years old gold coins he was promised by their mother.They didn't speak for 7 years,until I brought them back together.

Respected Contributor

@TeezNu wrote:

In my parents' wills, prepared by an attorney, there was a brief declaration that anyone contesting the will would automatically forfeit any potential gain.  Problem solved.

I did essentially the same thing when setting up my estate plan. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@chrystaltree A wrong in whose eyes?  Wrong how?  Not the way someone thought it should be?

@LipstickDiva I’ve seen some of those terrible things up close. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

After my DD robbed me of $20,000 worth of QVC jewlery,I made a will. My Lawyer video taped it all to prove i was in sound mind and body!

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

After my DD robbed me of $20,000 worth of QVC jewlery,I made a will. My Lawyer video taped it all to prove i was in sound mind and body!

@MalteseMomma.  Oh no, that’s awful. I’m so sorry that happened to you.