Honored Contributor

Thinking of getting cracked corn, if you feed cardinals do you find they like corn? I feed black oil sunflower seeds,and some salflower seeds in winter.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest -

When I did get to feed my cardinals, they seemed to really like the black sunflower seeds like you have been feeding them. But they also liked the mixed seed bell I used to get.

and from internet-

"Food: The northern cardinal's strong, thick bill is perfect for large seeds, and black oil sunflower seeds and safflower seeds are two of their favorites. Other foods cardinals prefer include cracked corn, peanut pieces, fresh berries, apple chunks, and small pieces, crumbles, or shreds of suet."

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Thinking of getting cracked corn, if you feed cardinals do you find they like corn? I feed black oil sunflower seeds,and some salflower seeds in winter.

@goldensrbest  We love the cardinals as well! Stick with the sunflower seeds! Don't put corn in your feed.

Esteemed Contributor

If your area has CROWS.....you'll attract plenty of them and in the Spring you'll hear a lot of CAW CAW CAW CAW and they will drive the song bird away and rob the nest (eggs) of the small birds.  They kill and eat baby birds.

Rethink your plan....................

Respected Contributor

I make a mix of predominantly black sunflower seeds and then I buy a bag of seeds for backyard birds.  This has some fruits, nuts, other seeds and a little corn.  You can see the pictures on the bags of the birds it would be good for.  I have lots of Cardinals, Blue Birds, little Chicadees, and other small birds and they gobble this stuff like crazy.

Respected Contributor

I posted this info in another thread about cardinals.  

Squirrels love sunflower seeds and can become a real nuisance.  I switched to saffloower seeds and the birds enjoyed those and the squirrels stayed away.