Respected Contributor

A group of us got together and started an online local yardsale to sell stuff we no longer need or want and money raise goes to a charity.

One woman runs the sites as she does not work and has a background in sales and marketing.  She gave me an update as to what is selling and what is not.

I have to say it is always the stuff you would never think would sell........

• We have an Ethan Allen DR set table, chairs  for 8 and a hutch  $300 - has not sold
  • Wedding china, service for 12 over 325 pieces- $100- not sold
  • Solid wood roll top desk - not sold
  • I donated a collection of used glass bottles like the one's serums and essential oils come in-  20 bottles for $30 SOLD  She is asking for more as more people are interested.
  • A collection of old curtain rods- SOLD
  • a set of Used Thomas the Train sheets-SOLD
  • a collection of old National Geo magazines- SOLD

Now I have to think twice about what is trash and what people will buy.  

The woman who owns the DR set has been trying to sell it for over a year at different consignment shops.  It is beautiful and in lovely condition but as someone who just downsized I understand not wanting such things.

Most of the things we sell are things that families have kept for years thinking their kids would want it 'someday' and now the reality is 'how to get rid of it.'

Respected Contributor

Re: Our online sales project

I don't think people want dishes because they use paper plates for big dinners and for everyday also.  and a lot of old dishes have lead in them.   

Honored Contributor

I think sometimes its a matter of the right person at the right time though I can understand about the furniture.

And unless someone is in love with the style of furniture, they would want to choose their own if they need one, rather then pay for one they didn't particluarly love.

Also the problem of moving it.

What a great idea though and lucky to have someone toorganize and market it!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

That's nice but that wouldn't happen in my world.  Most thrift shops and resale shops have closed down due to a lack of customers.  Life is different now.  It's hard to sell, even give away things that still have a lot of life in them.  People live much more casually now.  People don't buy things for a lifetime and people don't want used items.  Also some things today are so inexpensive, even for people on very limited budgets that they don't have to go the used route.  The last time my friends and I did our Walmart run, she bought her daughter who recently purchased a home a lovely modern set of dinnerware for just over $20 for a 4 piece place setting. She bought two sets so her daughter has enough for 8.  She had several very expensive sets she could have passed down, wanted to pass down to her daughter but the daughter wanted fresh and modern.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl 

If people were in the market for dinning room furniture they would realize that's a good deal----furniture keeps going up and up in price..... 

I think the problem is that some realtor's and even apartment complexes are saying that DINNING ROOMS ARE OUT!!! (I went with my sister to look at new places).....They are saying as the open concept became popular the dinning room and living room/family room merged into one....and particularly millenials dont do the formal dinning room thing anymore....they gather around a large coffee table in the family room to eat....or eat out in their backyards or entertainment areas of apartment complexes...but you know how styles cycle and who knows dinning rooms might be back in style some day....Too late for the seller's opportunity to sell her set...or the wedding china finding a buyer....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The deterrent for me buying furniture from yard sales or thrifts is a lack of a way to get them home. 

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

The deterrent for me buying furniture from yard sales or thrifts is a lack of a way to get them home. 

This is a problem for many!  So we do free delivery of large furniture pieces.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt 

This is a true reality!  Every older relative I have is desperately trying to unload their "heirloom" DR furniture on any relative they know because their kids don't want it and as they downsize they don't have the room.

I have friends with enormous homes but they use the formal DR as a 2nd office, study room or as a playroom.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

This is a problem for many!  So we do free delivery of large furniture pieces.

Oh wow! Where do you live? Lol 

Valued Contributor

Yes, what the OP described is the same as our experience when we downsized last year. And yet, it is not everyone. My cousin has three daughters, each grown with kids. Two are MDs and one is high up in a large corporation. They can all afford the latest and best. All three love getting family furniture and items. They will drive hours to pick up from one another. They appreciate the quality and having items that they’ve seen or used all their lives are important to them. This is how most everyone used to be. Makes me happy to see it still like this in this family. 😊😊