Regular Contributor

car insurance question--what would you do?

Our auto policy has four vehicles on it.  Three months ago, we added towing insurance for our 2019 as its caused us problems and is a hybrid which must be towed to the nearest dealer, not a general mechanic.

We called and added the towing insurance and several times stated which vehicle.  Well the insurance company put it on the wrong vehicle and we just now noticed it on the paper statement.

I checked online after we called and it showed up correctly online at the time 3 months ago but now it shows the wrong vehicle and I can't pull up anything to prove the correct coverage.

I know they recorded when I first called in July, but how could they get it so wrong?  We are out over $1000 for a tow bill.  Hopefully somebody smart can tell me what I need to do.

Thanks, Seannie

Honored Contributor

Re: car insurance question--what would you do?

I would call and question their mistake.  Is there a possibility your insurance company does not cover towing on hybrid cars, since they will obviously be paying out a lot on these claims as more people buy hybrid cars?

Honored Contributor

@Seannie 

I am fed up with the car insurance business.

I would call the Insurance Commissioner of your state and ask what steps you should take.  We resorted to this when we ran into a problem,  after months of trying, we couldn't even get a call back. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Seanni,

I was going to say the same thing as @Drythe -callthe insurance commissioner of your state.

And let the insurance co know you are contacting the insurance commissioner You might get a very fast response but if not, you are on the right path.

There is no way you should have to pay for their mistake, especially when you gave them the correct information!

I hope it works out1 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you have a paper copy of the policy/endorsement adding the coverage at the time or was it all paperless?

I'm surprised you can't go back and look at past policies on-line.

Respected Contributor

We have towing through AAA.  It does not matter what car you have--only that you are a member.  We have the highest level of memberships that allow for 200 miles of towing per year.  The cost is quite economical given all the services one receives with membership.

If you have past history of using the tow policy only for the 2019 hybrid, you should ask the insurance company to research this and recognize that it made an error.

You should immediately ask your insurance company to cover the cost or advise them you will be looking for a new insurance company.

Contributor

As an insurance person, this can be easily corrected. Call your agent if you have one and explain the problem. It is easy enough to fix. If you do not have an agent, google the  company customer service number and ask them to help you. 

Respected Contributor

@cazenovia wrote:

As an insurance person, this can be easily corrected. Call your agent if you have one and explain the problem. It is easy enough to fix. If you do not have an agent, google the  company customer service number and ask them to help you. 

I agree. Call your agent before you call the governmental agency.

We've always been on 1st name basis/# in our phone contacts with our agents, bankers, mechanics and mortgage guy.  

Respected Contributor

@Seannie 

When a change is made to an insurance policy, the insurance company with whom the policy is written sends out a change in policy statement with the cost of additonal coverage.

You should of gotten that either by mail or e-mail, it's highly unlikely you will have a case but good luck.

Respected Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

Our auto policy has four vehicles on it.  Three months ago, we added towing insurance for our 2019 as its caused us problems and is a hybrid which must be towed to the nearest dealer, not a general mechanic.

We called and added the towing insurance and several times stated which vehicle.  Well the insurance company put it on the wrong vehicle and we just now noticed it on the paper statement.

I checked online after we called and it showed up correctly online at the time 3 months ago but now it shows the wrong vehicle and I can't pull up anything to prove the correct coverage.

I know they recorded when I first called in July, but how could they get it so wrong?  We are out over $1000 for a tow bill.  Hopefully somebody smart can tell me what I need to do.

Thanks, Seannie

Towing has always been included with the two car insurance companies I've had.  We've had A LOT of cars.  Husband is a car guy.  We've had historic cars towed, SUV's, luxury cars...you name it.  Never paid more than $50 for a tow.  We would pay it, give it to the car insurance company and always quickly got reimbursed.  I am shocked you got charged $1000 to tow a car.  The only thing that needs to be decided when towing a car is if you need a flatbed or hitch.  We always went with the flatbed.  Hybrid, gas, electric...doesn't make a difference.