Esteemed Contributor

Can somebody help with melted plastic container....

in my oven! I didn't realize I had put a plastic container in my oven, and what a mess. I have a self cleaning oven, so the oven part I just cleaned for 4 hours, and it all came off. The rack is a different story. It is melted on there. I can't scrape it off it won't budge. Any suggestions. 

I was thinking of wrapping foil around the plastic, and heating the oven, removing the foil while still warm, and maybe being able to wipe it away. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Can somebody help with melted plastic container....

You could try nail polish remover.  I remember my Mom having melted plastic from a bread wrapper stuck to the toaster - she used nail polish remover and it worked.  

Or maybe when it's dry/solid just try breaking it off?  Another thing to try is put the rack in a large plastic trash bag and fill with ammonia.  That works for cleaning the gunk off racks - it might work for the plastic.  Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

try ice cubes. 

Frequent Contributor

Reheat your oven to 200 and turn off.  Should be softened enough to remove.  I've done this too!

Honored Contributor

@manny2   Use the cold method.  If your racks can fit in your freezer, use that method.

If not, place the racks in a tub with bags of ice on both sides of the rack.

Scrape with a wooden spoon so that you do not nick the racks or your fingers.

Also be very careful using any heat method-your windows should be opened and the exhaust fan running.  Heating plastic is a hazard.

Never eat food cooked in an oven while plastic was melting.

hth

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, to all that responded. I have a few different methods here, so if one doesn't do the job I'll try the next one. What a mess I have here!

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@manny2   Use the cold method.  If your racks can fit in your freezer, use that method.

If not, place the racks in a tub with bags of ice on both sides of the rack.

Scrape with a wooden spoon so that you do not nick the racks or your fingers.

Also be very careful using any heat method-your windows should be opened and the exhaust fan running.  Heating plastic is a hazard.

Never eat food cooked in an oven while plastic was melting.

hth

@Cakers3 I was cooking something, and I did throw it out. I did not smell the plastic at all. Very odd right. I did however have part of the melted container in my food! 

When I did the self cleaning oven I opened all of the windows, and stayed out of the house. I just came in and out to be sure everything was ok. I did not smell the plastic then either.  I think that's because most of the melted plastic is on the rack. The racks have to be removed during the self cleaning process, so I have to get it off somehow. 

Thank you, for the tips!

Honored Contributor

@manny2   I have cleaned my oven racks using easy off oven cleaner..I spray the racks and put them in a large garabe bag and sit in the sun...you might give that a try.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Thank you, I might have to try that too. It is really thick on the rack. It is so hard it doesn't budge. If all else fails I guess I purchase a new rack!

Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs Thank you, I might have to try that too. It is really thick on the rack. It is so hard it doesn't budge. If all else fails I guess I purchase a new rack!

@manny2  I was just reading your Thread and the first thing that came to mind was that you should buy a new rack. Here you are thinking the same thing. So new rack it is lol