Trusted Contributor

Re: can't read or write cursive

If I remember correctly, in my son's case, "keyboarding" for all students filled the space once taken by writing exercises, in the third grade.  So there you go.....

How many men do you know who never learned to type?

Honored Contributor

It is just the way it is. I doubt any of these teens will ever write a check or use a checkbook either.   It is just how things change generation to generation. 

Honored Contributor

you can pretty much scribble anything that looks remotely like a signature and THAT can be your signature. it doesnt have to be legible.

check out mark zuckerbergs

https://digitalsynopsis.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/signatures-of-famous-people-handwriting-analysis.jpg

http://www.tomfolio.com/signatures/images/k/KissingerHenry.jpg

https://admin.mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/jack-lew-signature.jpg

https://www.goautographs.com/7530-large_default/j-k-rowling-signature.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

If you can't read cursive, you are going to have a problem if you get into a field that requires researching old / historical documents.

Trusted Contributor

This really blows my mind.  I was shocked just recently when I wrote something in cursive and my grandchildren couldn't read it (6th and 7th grade).  Nor can they tell time on a regular clock. They claim they can write their name in cursive though.  I hope so because how will they otherwise sign documents?  As far as the comment about not being able to write in cursive because of being left handed my brother and aunt are left handed and can write perfectly in cursive.

Esteemed Contributor

A very sad situation in our school system. Very few schools even teach cursive.  Even fewer teach children how to tell time!  In fact, many school districts teach these ridiculous new math techniques!!!  No times tables, no carrying or borrowing;  ridiculous!!!  Basics aren't taught anymore.  No wonder our students are so far behind other countries in math and science!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It’s just a different time. New ‘basics’.

I’m sure there will be a renaissance in our school systems

but I don’t equate literate or illiterate with knowing cursive. 

Computers are a big part of a child’s life. 

In reverse, little kids could point at me saying,

’‘You didn’t learn how to type until you were 16???”

They're basically in diapers & know how to operate

QWERTY keyboard. 

Super Contributor

@12megley wrote:

I blame the parents for this! This is not only ridiculous, but wrong! Our taxes are going towards teachers teaching our children! So glad mine are grown....

It is hardly the parent's fault.  Teachers have their hands full, in most cases, picking up the slack that has been dropped at home.  Discipline is not something that a teacher should have to instill in their students, yet having fully educated two kids, I couldn't begin to tell you how many teachers have complained about even one student that has bad manners and lacks discipline that disrupts the entire class.  I have been apologized to by a teacher for having to divert attention away from teaching an important lesson to deal with behavior issues.  That means more homework for the student. 

One of my kids came home with deodorant samples in middle school.  I was horrified thinking he was smelly at school.  As it turns out, they held an intervention for the entire grade.  So many kids were not wearing deodorant that they needed to intervene, and were able to get donated sample deodorants.  How do you not smell your own kid?  That was time that should have been spent in the classroom, not doing the parents job.  I guess you could put it on the parents if you look at it that way, but not if you think they should be making demands for their tax dollars.  Those dollars are already stretched.   

Esteemed Contributor

I've worked in a technical field, that required me to write up work orders, often with special instructions.  It was not just the purchase of specific items, it was how and where and when.

I was ultimately required to write the ticket in print only, as the cashiers who processed the transactions could not read my (very neatly written) tickets in cursive.

Really ticked me off.  I'm handling complex things out in the weather, my hands hurt and the wind is blowing, and now I have to print.  How laborious.  I have very legible handwriting.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

It’s just a different time. New ‘basics’.

I’m sure there will be a renaissance in our school systems

but I don’t equate literate or illiterate with knowing cursive. 

Computers are a big part of a child’s life. 

In reverse, little kids could point at me saying,

’‘You didn’t learn how to type until you were 16???”

They're basically in diapers & know how to operate

QWERTY keyboard. 

@sidsmom

its TRUE!

i am amazed at what a toddler can do with an ipad these days.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein