Esteemed Contributor

Re: can't read or write cursive

Adding one more comment.  Okay don't learn how to write cursive... don't teach it.  

HOWEVER HOW CAN YOU THEN READ IT.  SO MANY OF US ARE STILL DOING IT BECAUSE AS FAR AS HANDWRITING IS CONCERNED IT IS FASTER.  

Honored Contributor

I've been in two restaurants where the cash register was down.  The kids had to get out a pencil and paper to make change.  We rented a house to DH's nephew in another city.  The first money order he sent was blank on the top line and the signature line, anyone could have cashed it.  What the heck are they teaching in schools now days?  Seems like there is a lot of class time that could be better utilized.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Adding one more comment.  Okay don't learn how to write cursive... don't teach it.  

HOWEVER HOW CAN YOU THEN READ IT.  SO MANY OF US ARE STILL DOING IT BECAUSE AS FAR AS HANDWRITING IS CONCERNED IT IS FASTER.  

Shoekitty said

i think it os faster as well.  Takes me twice as long to print and my print is so awful. With RA in my hands it hurts to print more than a sentance!

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

These threads arise on a regular basis.  I sometimes wonder if it's just to act like we're better than younger folks who can't write cursive or who can't make change as fast as we can. (To be honest, I'm a lot better at making change, figuring percentages, and using decimals now than ever before.  Oh, wait, I'm old.  Maybe I've just gotten better at these skills because I've been using them for many years??)

Cursive IS taught in our local elementary schools.  But it's not given the role of importance it once was.  It comes down to time, precious time.  For years teachers were told employers wanted to hire those who can think critically, solve problems, work as a team.  Over time our curriculum changed to center more on critical thinking and solving problems.

Add to this the fact that the general public began complaining that there was no way to "measure" learning and to measure whether teachers were actually working. Standardized tests came along and instructional time was used to help students perform well on these tests. No cursive on the tests.  Be careful what you ask for.  

If you think you can contribute in a positive way or you have a better approach, volunteer at your local schools.  You won't be allowed to use core instructional time but you could offer a voluntary cursive mini-course during recess time for interested students.  Complaining on a message board isn't going to change anything as evidenced by the fact that this discussion comes up regularly.

@KalliWell said!

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@hsawaknow wrote:

I have a friend who believes in conspiracies. He believes they no longer teach children to read and write cursive has to do with the declaration of independence and other formal documents that were written in cursive. As the generations die out, the children born in late 90's and forward will not know what they say, making them obsolete.

Oh brother.

Does this friend not realize that there are print versions of these documents?   What does he think the percentage of people now who have actually read those documents in their original form is?  Does he think they won't be taught in school?

SMH . 

Ditto.  I (like many) have viewed the Declaration of Independence at the National Archives.  It was impossible for me to read - given the fast-moving line, the archaic font, and the very small print.  These days there is no excuse for anyone to not read any public document they wish to - go online, find it, and show your kids.

Respected Contributor

@HouseMouse wrote:

I have heard this too and wonder how will they sign their names? 

@HouseMouse your signature does not have to be in cursive to be legally binding. I work in the legal field.

Respected Contributor

I manage a team made up of mostly entry level associates. They don’t need to be able to read or write cursive to do this job. They all have the necessary math and verbal skills to be successful.