Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie 

I am so sad for your loss, and for the wonderful years you and your dog shared.

The AKC will have a list of ‘Breeders of Merit’ by breed, in your area.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: bichon breeder

[ Edited ]

@mollymaggie 

You said "trust."  I assume you are looking for someone who will sell you a healthy dog.  You can possibly get one at rescues and elsewhere, but often they don't know the dogs' or parents' history.  

You can contact the Bichon Frise Club of America for breeders in your area and ask for a companion pup.  When you call these breeders, ask if they test for inherited diseases. Move on from those who don't.  

Keep in mind, even though the pup is tested, it's no guarantee they will be free of some sort of disease later in life.  Universities developing the tests don't have tests for all the diseases yet.  

Link

Bichon Frise Club of America

Frequent Contributor

Consider looking at a Bichon rescue.

My sassy little Bichon (pure bred) came from a small dog rescue.  She had been dropped off at the pound!

Esteemed Contributor

@mollymaggie - So sorry for the loss of your furbaby. 

When we lost our Maltese, I searched the AKC site to find a breeder. 

Be careful of internet searches, some of the people are so sketchy.

Good Luck.

Respected Contributor

Re: bichon breeder

[ Edited ]

First of all, I'm so sorry about the death of your beloved dog.  It is such a big loss.   

I would suggest contacting the Bichon rescue in your area or area near to you.  One or more must  have sweet Bichons looking for a loving home.  

over 4 million dogs a cats are murdered every year because no one adopts them.  I ask you to first try to give a sweet dog a new life instead of purchasing a dog.  As the bumper sticker says:  don't breed, don't buy, Adopt.

Honored Contributor

Join a facebook group in your area, also AKC web site.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

So sorry for your loss.  We had a Bichon named Skipper years back.  Sweet dogs.  Do go through a reputable person in your area. You can see the dog and check him or her out.  AKC might be a source too. 

Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie wow, you are so lucky to have had your bichon for 18 years! that is amazing. so sorry for your loss......i am sure it is difficult.

we lost our bichon last august. he was 15 1/2 and such a sweet companion and protector, even as his health deteriorated. there is definitely still an empty space in our home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Google the name of the breed and read the websites if some of the breeders.  They are usually pros who show their dogs and not backyard breeders.  Many will explain their philosophies and goals which should give you an idea of their ethics.  You can call and talk to them.

The Bichons used to have a very active Nationwide rescue group.  You might look for that too.  I've seen some lovely dogs there.  Haven't checked it for several years.

https://www.bichonrescue.org/

@Kachina624 

thank you so much for this website!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

I'm sorry you lost your little furry friend @mollymaggie (((💓)))