Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: auto upload of windows 10

@chickenbutt wrote:

Gooday - It shouldn't.  It's all about how you have your settings in 'Windows Updates'.  Make sure it is only set to 'check' for updates but not automatically install them.  Then you have control over what you install.

Thank you!  I did not know that.  I learned something new today. I am not at all computer saavy.

Honored Contributor

@Gooday wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Gooday - It shouldn't.  It's all about how you have your settings in 'Windows Updates'.  Make sure it is only set to 'check' for updates but not automatically install them.  Then you have control over what you install.

Thank you!  I did not know that.  I learned something new today. I am not at all computer saavy.

I agree.  That is how mine is set, chickenbutt.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I don't understand why so many people are having so many problems. DH put Win 10 on our 2 laptops & our desktop. We have not had any problems. I have not really noticed much difference. My desktop home screen looks pretty much the same as it was on 7. DH said he made it look as much like 7 as he could. I did not see it before he made those changes so I don't know what it looked like before he did that. We don't use the Edge browser. We still use IE11 or Chrome + still using Windows Live Mail. DH has Outlook mail on one laptop. He has also installed it on 2 computers they use at work that they have not had any problems with either. 

It was also automatically installed on both my sisters computers. DH told them how to go back & that's what they did. They have not had any problems after going back. I'm sure DH will have to get it installed for both of them next month when we go to Fl.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@2blonde wrote:

@MathisFan  Thanks for that info!  I haven't been on my home laptop since Sunday, so when I get home tonight I have to check it.  I've been getting those lousy pop-ups on it almost every day, but I've been just deleting them (not reading them anymore).  This is very annoying, as my computer is on Windows 7, and it's too old to handle Windows 10.  It still runs fine, so when I decide to get a new one is when I'll get Windows 10.  I resent them shoving it down my throat!

@2blonde     I'd been X-ing out of those annoying boxes asking if I wanted W10.  Finally, one day last week I got up from the computer for awhile. Came back and hit Pause/Restore because my computer goes to "sleep" after so long away from it.  There it was, the whole screen covered with the automatic update to W10. Couldn't close it out. I was about to panic. My 27 year old grandson was here, advised me to click "next" and told me I should be able to decline.  Voila!  I hit the decline button and it automatically restored W7. 

I'm pretty sure my computer's too old to support W10 too. Like you, mine runs fine also.   Besides, I don't want something pushed on me that I don't need or want.

Honored Contributor

I like it better then 8 no more of those stupid charms on the right. if you don't download it now for FREE you will have to pay for it later think it's a 100 or better.

I took one for the team and was so happy with it I went ahead and put it on the laptop too. I won't have to worry about shelling out now or at least till they come up with 11 , 12, etc. LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz People have different components in their computers. Whether Win10 works well or not is totally dependent on the guts of the computer. It is not always the owner of the computer doing something wrong.

WIN10 is a huge operating system, and it is a resource hog (hence why we suddenly saw computers being sold with 12gb RAM (memory) and 1TB hardrives.

Anyone with an older processor, or are running with only 4 gigs of ram will have trouble.

It is also graphic intensive, running all those apps, plus webpages in general are "graphic heavy" with all sorts of ads, AND WIN10 runs a bunch of background processes. That adds to misery for some who own computers with not enough power, speed, or ram will have trouble.

That is why it is so unfair Microsoft is forcing it. BUT....ahhhh...follow the money. People who auto-upgrade, and cannot work out the kinks, or it just screwed up their computer so bad, are going to throw in the towel and buy a new computer.

And what is Microsoft pushing so hard? Their new computers...The surface pro, and their tablets, etc. THEIR BRAND. They are betting on people just buying all Microsoft products. Just like Apple. Copycat babies. Irritating all around.

If I wanted a Microsoft computer I would buy one.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD@gabstoomuch@SharkE@MathisFan@Nightowlz@@chickenbutt

Having trouts now with the iPad, too. It us such a FIGHT!

Anyway, for the first time ever today I checked "avaiable updates." DLd XP Pack (had previously) without any trouble. There are other non-critical updates which are Greek to me.

REMEMBER: If you don't want WINDOWS10 -- KEEP A CLOSE WATCH UPON START-up! "X" causes WIN 10 downloads to begin!

Also, check available updates needs to be watched when starting up... MS has found a way to thwart you settings.

I expect this MS effort to become even more aggressive through July.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

That happened to me too and at first I was upset but I have gotten used to it.

Jessa
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I found a glitch with Win 10.  I had gotten used to receiving notifications every time an email came through or a breaking story from cnn or a notice that an update was performed but then I synced all my emails so I could read them all in one place via my start menu by clicking on the blue "mail" box.  

But then everything changed when word got out that you needed to change your passwords for all of your gmail accounts, yahoo, etc and so I did just that.  

I then became inundated with notifications nonstop that something I'm not sure what had to be updated as the sync was no longer working,  It offered no link and I had no choice but to turn off ALL notifications to make it stop.  Even if I knew where to go to satisfy the sync program with my new passwords for those other email accounts...it is a laborious time consuming task,,,,I did it once and really don't feel like doing it again.  

The nonstop notifications was over the top!  I had to figure out how to turn off the notifications completely either that or just shoot my computer.  

Update:  I just figured out how to update the passwords for those other email accounts.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

New question.  When you mention someone and then edit your post for grammar or a typo, does it give them another notification?  I hope not..  Woman Sad

Anyone know?