Esteemed Contributor

Re: auto upload of windows 10

Can it be "uninstalled"?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Well shoot!

I have been evading this Windows 10 pop-up forever, now I'm wondering if I am going to open up one day to find it installed!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I find it hard to believe that it would install without hitting "accept".  It needs your permission as others have stated. Downloading and Install are two separate things.  If you don't want it then when it no longer is free in July it will cost over $100 but less than $200.  My windows 10 was placed there voluntarily.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, @pattypeep , you can uninstall Windows 10 within 30 days from the Start Menu.  HTH'sWoman Happy 

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wondered that, too, when the Nofifications became available, @truffle, but "NO"  editing doesn't duplicate the Notification. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

This happened to me a couple of months ago when I was not home.  After a couple of days the menu disappeared and I could not find my calender of all appointments, etc.  I could get to my email but that was it.  I went to the Microsoft Store and they offered to fix the menu or take Windows 10 off the computer.  I decided to keep it if I could get the calender back.  I took a free class they offered on Windows 10.  I have no problems with it now.  

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@MathisFan  Thanks for that info!  I haven't been on my home laptop since Sunday, so when I get home tonight I have to check it.  I've been getting those lousy pop-ups on it almost every day, but I've been just deleting them (not reading them anymore).  This is very annoying, as my computer is on Windows 7, and it's too old to handle Windows 10.  It still runs fine, so when I decide to get a new one is when I'll get Windows 10.  I resent them shoving it down my throat!

My computer was also on Windows 7 and except for glitch where the menu disappeared briefly it runs fine on Windows 10.  

Respected Contributor

It's not just the OS, @DiAnne ,  I'm still SMH over what happened here.

My year old Windows 7 laptop that's pretty loaded, spec-wise had all kinds of problems with 10 when it installed and yet an old  Windows 7 Acer1 Netbook took it with a big grin.  Woman Wink  Seems to be luck of the draw on where it will play well.

Glad to see you're on your way and that your glitch was easily taken care of.Woman Happy 

Honored Contributor

Whatever browser those that had this happen?  Change your settings on that browser. Unlike Microsoft is breaking a law, they cannot install a new operating system on anyone's computer.

Change your settings from: AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL to NO, or ASK ME FIRST.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's great for a start @hckynut,but then you need to know the KB numbers of the Win 10 (mislabeled) updates to hide them manually and check with every new batch of updates.  It may not be illegal, but it is a real pain and shouldn't be happening.