Honored Contributor

OMG---I got 17 phone calls Saturday, from Georgtown University regarding my Apple acct----and each time the number was different.!!!! It was on my landline phone. I got a hold of xfinity to see what could be done and there is a way to eliminate this--sorry--think it is # 77 or *77 but still got 2 more. they started around 9 a.m. and the last one was around  6p.m. Not sure what today will bring----so flipping annoying!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Turn your ringer off.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My landline is on the do not call list and I'm getting no calls at all, not even political.  Try it if you haven't done so already.  

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

OMG---I got 17 phone calls Saturday, from Georgtown University regarding my Apple acct----and each time the number was different.!!!! It was on my landline phone. I got a hold of xfinity to see what could be done and there is a way to eliminate this--sorry--think it is # 77 or *77 but still got 2 more. they started around 9 a.m. and the last one was around  6p.m. Not sure what today will bring----so flipping annoying!!!!!!

@wagirl 

Sadly, the scammers can even "spoof" the phone number they call from....  If your phone carrier supports nomorerobo try subscribing to that, or get an answering system with a phone blocker to block the numbers....  You can also report the number(s) and file an online complaint with the FTC....GOOD LUCK!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

My landline is on the do not call list and I'm getting no calls at all, not even political.  Try it if you haven't done so already.  

@depglass 

WOW!!! Im impressed!  What is your secret....I have had my phones on the DO NOT CALL LIST for years, and that didnt do a thing!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

This is the first year we've had none, but it has never been heavy.  I live in a sparsely populated rural area and I'm thinking we aren't a marketing priority to any company.  

Honored Contributor

OP, why on earth do you still have a landline phone?? I reluctantly got rid of mine years ago and it was THE best thing I've ever done. I get absolutely NO unwanted calls.....none. I really don't feel sorry for those who refuse to move up with the times. You don't have to be bothered by spam phone calls you know. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

OP, why on earth do you still have a landline phone?? I reluctantly got rid of mine years ago and it was THE best thing I've ever done. I get absolutely NO unwanted calls.....none. I really don't feel sorry for those who refuse to move up with the times. You don't have to be bothered by spam phone calls you know. 

@ID2 

There are some reasons that people DO need a landline

1. What if a person in the household has a medical condition, and there's a power outage and you cant charge your cell phone and you need to call an ambulance. Case in point, before she passed, my mom lived with me for a brief time, and she had heart problems and I had an old landline phone that could still be plugged in to the wall jack just in case for emergenices because that way I could still make a call for a doctor or ambulance despite any power outages....

2. If you live in certain rural areas you cant get a cell phone signal (my brother & SIL have that issue).....

3. Ditching a landline doesnt guarantee the spam/scam calls stop! Like my sister told me about spam calls...the robo callers still find you even if you get rid of your landline....  I know I still get an occassional robo or scam call on my cell ------

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2 

I won't bother you with any of them but some of us have GOOD REASONS to continue to have a landline. And I might add that I get unwanted calls on my cell phone. The pita car warranty one and sometimes the messages left are in some foreign language. And only a few close friends and my kids & adult grandkids have my cell #. I block the pita ones on my cell phone same as on my landline.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2 , People have different reasons for keeping a landline in addition to a cell. My main reason is the sound quality is much better on the landline, and when I'm making a significant call, that is my phone of choice. I nevever answer calls that I don't recognize on the caller ID, it's just not a big deal.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan