Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

OMG---I got 17 phone calls Saturday, from Georgtown University regarding my Apple acct----and each time the number was different.!!!! It was on my landline phone. I got a hold of xfinity to see what could be done and there is a way to eliminate this--sorry--think it is # 77 or *77 but still got 2 more. they started around 9 a.m. and the last one was around  6p.m. Not sure what today will bring----so flipping annoying!!!!!!

@wagirl

This is an shame. In my area Verizon  landline service was shut down two years ago

People have cable VOIP service. You get fewer robo calls and you can monitor your calls better. 

The phone number appears on your TV screen with the name of the caller. 

I found a Vtech phones on Amazon 1S18151-5.

This should help. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg --thanks for the info---I ended up reporting the calls to the --DO NOT CALL--list and they have stopped--for now..... altho I got one from Texas saying they got my $300 for my anti virus protection ------checked with my bank, nothing there about that and also checked with my anti V people--all was normal with them----then I reported that number too. Just have to keep doing this, I guess-----dirtbags!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

They rotate numbers.  Pretty hard to block if they use one number after another. 

I have gotten to the point I don't answer anything that I don't recognize and if if is important I assume they will leave a message.

If by mistake... I NEVER SAY THE WORD YES.  And I pretend to be the dog walker or I pretend that the person they  want to talk to is out of town for the next 6 months and I am watching the house for them.  

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

They rotate numbers.  Pretty hard to block if they use one number after another. 

I have gotten to the point I don't answer anything that I don't recognize and if if is important I assume they will leave a message.

If by mistake... I NEVER SAY THE WORD YES.  And I pretend to be the dog walker or I pretend that the person they  want to talk to is out of town for the next 6 months and I am watching the house for them.  

Please don't give ANY info even if wrong like this. Just hang up. The jerk calling might have a burglar friend that will show up to break in because he got info the owners are not home. You could bump into some unwanted intruder at night there by mistake. Use the automatic voice answer guy that comes on the machine to answer the phone. Don't even let them hear your voice. If it's something very important from someone you know they WILL leave a message. Stay safe.

Respected Contributor

I don't answer a call if I don't recognize the number. My family, friends and certain familiar business people have my number. Anyone else can leave a voicemail which I will return, or block if unwanted in the future.

New Contributor

I keep an air horn close by...when I get one of those calls they get an earful! 

Esteemed Contributor

@GiGi8 wrote:

I keep an air horn close by...when I get one of those calls they get an earful! 

@GiGi8 

That's great on the rare occasion a real person is on the other end of the call. 99% of the time it's a robo call and you only get a real live person if you press whatever number the robo caller tells you to press to speak to "an agent".

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday was a banner day here for PITA calls. 2 in the am and 3, one right after the other in the mid afternoon. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2   we have a landline too.Robot Happy plus a cell phone.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

I still have a landline bc when I moved here 3 years ago Verizon had a special on a 2 year triple play bundle.  When it expired, I looked into getting rid of the landline but it would have cost more to get rid of it than to keep it.  I turn my ringer off - my family knows to call me on my cellphone and once a week I go through and clear out my caller ID log.