Esteemed Contributor

Re: and speaking about tomatoes

I have good luck with the Campari also, very flavorful year round.  I usually get them at Trader Joes, Sam's Club, or Sprouts.

Respected Contributor

thank you all so much !!!!  you ladies rock !!!!

i just enjoyed myself a wonderful old-fashioned tomato sandwich, made with Campari tomatoes!   

yes, they are pricey, but when ya gotta have a tomato sandwich, no price is too high.  

(now if i could just get those zweigles white hots LOL)

thanks again! 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my gosh @fancy pantsy  what the heck is a "zweigles white hot"?????

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Oh my gosh @fancy pantsy  what the heck is a "zweigles white hot"?????

LOL @Citrine1 . its a pork hot dog made by Zweigle's that originated in rochester ny.   one year my brother flew down (he was coming anyway) with a cooler full. LOL.    

Esteemed Contributor

Oh ok.  hahaha  Thanks for the explanation @fancy pantsy .  When I read the words "white hot", I was thinking of long hots (the peppers) and thought maybe it was some sort of pepper.  LOL  I had no idea!  

Esteemed Contributor

I finally got around to trying these tomatoes last week @suzyQ3 .  You're right, they were delicious.  I ate them as a snack, by themselves.  Finished the container in two days.  I'll be buying these again.  Thanks for the recommendation.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm pleased to see that Whole Foods reduced the prices of their organic Roma tomatoes and also the Campari tomatoes (along with many other price reductions---not be be confused with sales for a limited time).

I make my own pasta topping (it's not really a *sauce*) using their Romas, but I love a Campari in a salad or with an avocado on toast.

My favorite for making a pasta sauce is still the Cento organic canned San Marzano plum tomatoes.

Now I'm hungry.  I LHeartVE tomatoes!

Respected Contributor

Campari tomatoes are the best. I buy them summer and winter.  Publix has them on sale this week buy one get one free .And if you only need one package it's 1/2 price. 

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I finally got around to trying these tomatoes last week @suzyQ3 .  You're right, they were delicious.  I ate them as a snack, by themselves.  Finished the container in two days.  I'll be buying these again.  Thanks for the recommendation.  Woman Happy

Yay, @Citrine1 . They are worth every penny, and I found that they have a better longevity than on-the-vines. Never refrigerate them.

When I slice them, I always eat both ends that I otherwise would dump. It makes you realize just why tomatoes are actually a fruit!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland