Respected Contributor

Re: an interesting observation

The fact this has to be a conversation is putrid to me. How far the mighty have fallen.

Honored Contributor

There's probably a psychological reason for it.  The mind goes into disbelief.  I also have read that during a plane crash or an emergency landing people will grab their bags and carry ons get in the way of those trying to get off the plane quickly and we know that people die in fires because  once out, they run back into the burning buildings to get their handbags or dentures or they won't leave at all until they get dressed.  There was sad case locally where a woman got out of her burning house, was out for a while and then snuck past the firemen and ran back in to look for her cat.  She died from smoke inhalation.  Her cat was not in the house.    Her cat had escaped the house, people think shortly after the fire began, when the fire department arrived.   He'd been sitting safely on a neighbor's front porch.  Frightened but unharmed.    

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 

That's the worst thing anyone can do in that situation.  Run, hide, barricade  yourself in, fight, fight, fight.  That's what the experts tell us to do.  

Respected Contributor

Back in the 80’s, my friend and I were out and about on a Saturday night in LA.   We stopped at a hotel club/bar on Sunset Blvd.   We parked on a side street.  We came back to car.  My friend got in the drivers side and had yet to unlock my side.   Up came 2 guys with guns.  One to her open window.  One to me standing out on the sidewalk   I stood there negotiating with this armed guy.  He stated give me your purse and watch.  I said, why my purse, don’t you just want my wallet?  Numbfounded he said, yeah ok….  Took my watch and wallet.  They fled away.   I went over to drivers side and found my friend in a state of shock.  She couldn’t speak, she had lost body functions, etc.

You never know what you will do until it happens.  Why I negotiated with a gun pointed at me, I don’t know.  It was just an immediate natural reaction.  My friend reacted one way, I reacted another. 

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People panic when they don't have a plan. I have a plan for any situation because my father played, What's your plan, with me when I was a child.

He would give me a scenario and I would tell him my plan and he would ask me, what ifs to refine my plan and form a back up plan. Then, it was my turn to give him a scenario. These scenarios could be anything, possible, unlikely, or impossible. 

I knew to be aware of my surroundings, to be aware of a parked van with it's motor running, to know that a person doesn't have to be a stranger to be a danger..

People running become a stampede and risk getting trampled to death. Unless a gunman is targeting a specific individual, his agenda is to kill as many as possible so he will shoot into the crowd, and while those around a person offer a bit of cover, it's better to escape away from them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had not heard about a mall shooting in Atlanta, but it seems these incidents are happening almost on a daily basis now. God help our country. I went out driving around last week looking for a specific type of gift for my granddaughter....couldn’t find her size anywhere. Came home and ordered it online...$10 more but still worth it after that ordeal. I have only bought one or two things in stores..everything else has been online.  Even Walmart prices are too high on many things now. I like the challenge of shopping online and finding the price I am willing to pay. In my pajamas...😎 it’s no wonder b&m stores are suffering. Risking being caught in a shootout with a knucklehead who wants to make a name for himself by killing people in a mall is just one more reason to stay home!

Honored Contributor

When I was in a  big store and a big earthquake hit   while I was shopping  here in Washington State about 20 years ago, I ran outside into the parking lot with my hand basket of goods in hand ( not paid for).   (Do not know why I carried the basket with me)

All I remember thinking  was that I needed to get OUT OF THE BUILDING NOW,'

Other customers just stood in one place frozen  I told them I was getting out of there....... I ran past  them out the doors and a bunch of people started follow me...LOL!.

I guess they thought I knew what I was doing..... kind of like monkey see monkey do.

Honored Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

Back in the 80’s, my friend and I were out and about on a Saturday night in LA.   We stopped at a hotel club/bar on Sunset Blvd.   We parked on a side street.  We came back to car.  My friend got in the drivers side and had yet to unlock my side.   Up came 2 guys with guns.  One to her open window.  One to me standing out on the sidewalk   I stood there negotiating with this armed guy.  He stated give me your purse and watch.  I said, why my purse, don’t you just want my wallet?  Numbfounded he said, yeah ok….  Took my watch and wallet.  They fled away.   I went over to drivers side and found my friend in a state of shock.  She couldn’t speak, she had lost body functions, etc.

You never know what you will do until it happens.  Why I negotiated with a gun pointed at me, I don’t know.  It was just an immediate natural reaction.  My friend reacted one way, I reacted another. 

I heard once on TV, to always carry a dummy wallet with you... and when they demand it you throw it..... away from yourself.  The robber usually will go to get the wallet... you run.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Actually, I never understood why people run so haphazardly.  I think I would just drop where I was and try to hide underneath something.  Where are they running to??

@kaydee50  When something happens to you you really never know how you will react until you are in a real life situation....

Esteemed Contributor

Love the dummy wallet idea. Thank you. Reading your comments -- I wonder if I'd respond differently if with my grandchildren than I would the hubs. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau