Super Contributor

On television last night they showed people scrambling when shots were fired at the Atlanta mall.  In the corner of the picture they show a woman calming taking her time to gather up her packages before she ran for cover.  I have heard this happens as well during airpline evacuations  Huh??

Honored Contributor

Re: an interesting observation

Actually, I never understood why people run so haphazardly.  I think I would just drop where I was and try to hide underneath something.  Where are they running to??

Honored Contributor

Run, hide, fight.   That's how people are trained when faced with an active shooter.

When running, run zig zag, harder target to hit.   

In a mall, I would have a hard time determining where the shots were coming from, with all that tile & concrete, the sound would echo.  I wouldn't know which way to run, so I would hunker down in a safe place.

I don't shop malls anymore, there was a shooter at a local mall last year.    Very easy for me to avoid altogether.

Esteemed Contributor

I can tell you from first-hand experience that you have no idea what you will do until it happens.  I found what I hoped was a safe place (it was), but most people just try to get out of harms way.  I never go to the mall and have not since 1985.  Online shopping has been a blessing for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

In moments of pure panic like these scenarios, it's hard for most people to think clearly and rationally in the split second you have to make a decision of what you should do.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

"Panic kills".

This was drilled into me starting at the age of 18. Staying calm, moving with purpose and thinking clearly is what one needs to do but...unless you've been trained that way (or have other issues at work such as medication, going into shock or mentally unaware) the vast majority panic and flee (which is just as dangerous).

In the end, until it happens, you don't know how you will respond.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam Excellent comment. Yes, by nature, we will do whatever the masses around us are doing, creating panic and erasing any ability for effective problem solving.   

I think scanning the environment for a quick assessment of, 'what should I be doing,' might be more helpful.  But, you're right.  It would take training and nerves of steel. 

Super Contributor

Whatever you decided to do; ;why would you pause to gather up your stuff?

Honored Contributor

This behavior is reinforced every time we fly.

The plane comes to a stop & everyone stands up...

even those in the back who have no chance of leaving until

the 100+ people before them...are standing.
Why?

So if there was an airplane emergency, that same reinforced

movement will play out....and that's something I think about 

every time I fly.  Scary. 

Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:

Whatever you decided to do; ;why would you pause to gather up your stuff?

@gellen 

Hmmm! Depending on the kind of "stuff", maybe it could be used for some type of protection. Say a bunch of clothing might reduce the injury. About all I can think of!

hckynut

hckynut(john)