Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

What tickles me is Wolfgang Puck trying to say vegetable.

comes out vegtable.  ROFL

That's okay, I say vegable just to cut corners.  I don't do it in public though....lol!

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

OK then it must be just me.  Sorry for the rant.

It's not you.  Proper grammar was drummed into my head as a child so I NOTICE it immediately.  You must too.  I fee the same way.

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California wrote:

@luvmybeetle 

Ok, if we are talking about diction, and what annoys us,

here is mine:

CAWD-----instead of called

"This top is CAWD sage...this one is CAWD marine blue...."

Amy has a speech impediment, she has said so. Are people here really going to criticize someone's speech impediment?

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

I didn't hear this particular host, but I agree about the B & P sound in some words.

Ever hear anyone say BaBtist, instead of BaPtist? I do, all the time. Even my Baptist pastor does it...and he is a VERY educated man!

Respected Contributor

omg,I am so glad you brought this up.i know the host who says this.i wonder if she can't pronounce her l s?it drives me nuts when listening to her.she is cute as a button,but that is like nails on a chalk board

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam   Careful. That host has talked openly of her speach impediment for years. She's had years of speach therapy. Please be kind. That cannot be helped. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Hey guys, I was talking about incorrect grammar, not speech impediments.  The host that does that cannot change the way she speaks.  Please be kind about that.

Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

Hey guys, I was talking about incorrect grammar, not speech impediments.  The host that does that cannot change the way she speaks.  Please be kind about that.

@luvmybeetle, actually, your thread is about pronunciation, not grammar.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

OK if she says aPsolutely one more time I will scream.  I'm am trying to be very patient and I will not turn on the mute.  I want to hear the explanation on each product as I love the Irish.  I just wish some of the hosts would learn how to speak correctly.  Sorry I'm just frustrated.

@luvmybeetle 

Really? It never ceases to amaze me how little it takes to rattle some people. I have seen it here for years from a whole lot of people. How one constructs a sentence, or using the wrong spelling for words that are pronounced exactly the same(there/their).

I even have this discussion with my wife. She's a stickler on spelling and diagramming a sentence. I on the other hand do not care. As long as I understand what they are saying or typing?  No big deal.

The only time I mention anything close to this is when some choose to type 1 long sentence in lieu of paragraphs in teenie tiny fonts. Why? Because I am old and even topics I am interested in, I skip. Yes, I know electronics and how font sizes work on so forth.That however doesn't inform the poster to maybe change those things a wee bit!

Not even sure why I am adding this post. Oh well, i did.

hckynut(john) 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I do not know which host is being critiqued here but perhaps it is part of an accent from where they are from.

People probably wonder why on earth I say some words the way that I do.  I grew up in Pittsburgh and definitely have that infamous accent.  I had no idea how bad it was until I left the area

I have been gone a long time but the accent remains. 

If I was a show host I would be raked over the coals.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF