Esteemed Contributor

Re: Zuckerberg Is Giving Away 99 Percent Of His Stock In Facebook

@missy1 wrote:

He did really invent it. Social media "similar' sites came before FB. He just improved on it. (I don't call it that, whatever) Why announce he's doing this?

Don't ask question, it riddles people up.  Just accept..........

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

So each time someone states that this could not possibly have been done with out notice or attention and that it's a good thing becasue it might, probably will, inspire others to make such choices regarding their great wealth, another one chimes in and asks why he had to make it public. Funny, I guess.

Let's address the elephant in the room. I think that there is some envy perhaps, but I mainly think that this would have gone off quite well if the donors had, shall we say, a different mindset and perspective as to how funds should be used. Their foundation will to go social, educational, and environmental causes. That is suspect enough for some.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

He did really invent it. Social media "similar' sites came before FB. He just improved on it. (I don't call it that, whatever) Why announce he's doing this?

I would venture to guess that at least one reason would be to prevent panic.  Just imagine what would happen if the majority stockholder of any major company suddenly dumped 99% of their holdings without explanation. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

I would venture to guess that at least one reason would be to prevent panic.  Just imagine what would happen if the majority stockholder of any major company suddenly dumped 99% of their holdings without explanation. 

The donation was to be done "during their lifetime" so he would not suddenly be dumping stock.  Since we do not have a crystal ball and know what his stock will actually be worth in the future, it is unknown just how generous this gift may be.  Ten years this stock could be totally worthless.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

The donation was to be done "during their lifetime" so he would not suddenly be dumping stock.  Since we do not have a crystal ball and know what his stock will actually be worth in the future, it is unknown just how generous this gift may be.  Ten years this stock could be totally worthless.

If there's even a chance that his stock wealth will be secure for some time to come, then that is what matters. Of course no one can predict the future. That's a given, isn't it?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Zuckerberg Is Giving Away 99 Percent Of His Facebook Stock

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Tax advantage for his heirs?   Your wording is different than his.

We will give 99% of our Facebook shares — currently about $45 billion — during our lives to advance this mission.

You seem not to have heard of the movement begun by Bill and Melinda Gates to care for the children of the world by giving away most of their money.

It included Zuckerberg and others.

How sad that you don't understand altruism. 

Yes, those polio vaccinations in India (check parylasis death numbers 47thousand?) and  and implantable birthcontrol microchips he is helping to create are helping his Eugenic side.

Wow. How utterly horrible that people are offered polio vaccinations and the ability to control their own family planning. What is this world coming to?

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

If there's even a chance that his stock wealth will be secure for some time to come, then that is what matters. Of course no one can predict the future. That's a given, isn't it?

As I said in a prior post, I hope that the donation will make a difference.  The difference between this and Bill Gates is cash (and of course his time).  Bill Gates and his wife pledged funds not stock, with an undetermined donation date and value. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is one couple that is always doing good in the world. I think it is wonderful!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

It's absolutely amazing that people are suspicious f those willing to donate almost their entire fortune.  Why can't you just be happy about it and move on?

Oh, here's a thought, do something yourself, in your own way to help others.  I've seen children generously give of their time and allowance - be the good you want others to be.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@justmyopinion wrote:

*Gasp* wonder what their motives really are? (Written with sarcastic intent and rolling eyes simultaneously.)

"Zuckerberg and Chan have already donated more than $1.6 billion to charity in the past decade, including a $100 million gift to the Newark Public School System, a $25 million donation to the CDC to stop the spread of Ebola, and a $120 million commitment to education in the Bay Area.

Unless you know them personally, which I doubt, we are still allowed to opine on the story.  Clearly not everyone is marching to the same beat..........