Honored Contributor

Re: Zuckerberg Is Giving Away 99 Percent Of His Stock In Facebook

@Sooner wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Actually he is NOT giving away 99 percent of his wealth.  He is keeping the US Govt./tax payers from getting a big share of it.  SO, in a way, he is giving away a lot of your and my money as well.  So you can boast about that! You earned it!

Right, he is giving away 99% of his stock, and one particular group is livid about his philanthropy. 

I don't think anyone here is livid.  I think some don't agree that he is the "saint" some are making him out to be, and are expressing that opinion.  He will still be incredibly wealthy after the fact; some people give when it really hurts--he is not the only human giving.  Also, I feel the same way about big companies who brag about their contributions when actually the money came out of your and my pockets.  They should say their customers are giving--it is coming from profits.

A lot of "giving" in this country is a racket.  Some of the biggest medical (and respected ones) constantly hound my mother for money through the mail.  They "offer" newsletters and programs and such for very high costs.  I am simply stunned at how much of this she receives.

I believe 100 percent in giving and do donate a lot.  But on the flip side it is a racket too and a lot of executives are making huge salaries off of "charity."  I really think it is time people are more aware of what is going on and the scams that ABOUND in the name of giving.

So to make a saint of someone who announced their contributions to the world BEFORE the fact, nah, I have a wait and see attitude.  Sorry but that's the way I feel at this point in time.  I also know someone who worked for a large charity and some of his stories made me more suspicious of some of this "giving" empire.

Don't get me started on what so many people benefit and travel and live off their "foundations."  I think a lot of us have the wool pulled over our eye big time.  

Don't think anyone here or anywhere else is labeling his as a 'Saint'.

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Wow, i was just asking , why he did not do it quitely!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't apologize, you aren't the only one.

Why should he?  He is the young Facebook generation, they do everything out in the open.

What he has done and Bill Gates has done has inspired others to do the same. That's a good thing.

The real question is why do some people get angry about helping others.

I see no one getting angry about helping people, just a simple question about why he did not do it quietly.  If as you say it was to inspire others, then there is the answer.  No need to chastise those who ask questions.

Then you should be satisfied now, I answered your question.

Now you can move on to feeling joyful about his wonderful gift and how it will help children everywhere.

God Bless this wonderful, very young man, and his brilliant caring wife.

I really didn't ask the question.  You should apologize to them since you know the facts of his motives.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Bless the children of the world

Give them all a chance to grow and live

Give them all you have to give

Bless the children of the world.

Randy Newman

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

WWJD

Respected Contributor

Saint?  I don't recall anyone here calling him & his wife saints.  I can only speak for myself when I say I think they are doing something special with their wealth & setting a good example for others.  At no time have I ever considered either of them a saint.  In fact, I don't believe in saints.  period

Super Contributor

*Gasp* wonder what their motives really are? (Written with sarcastic intent and rolling eyes simultaneously.)

"Zuckerberg and Chan have already donated more than $1.6 billion to charity in the past decade, including a $100 million gift to the Newark Public School System, a $25 million donation to the CDC to stop the spread of Ebola, and a $120 million commitment to education in the Bay Area.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@justmyopinion wrote:

*Gasp* wonder what their motives really are? (Written with sarcastic intent and rolling eyes simultaneously.)

"Zuckerberg and Chan have already donated more than $1.6 billion to charity in the past decade, including a $100 million gift to the Newark Public School System, a $25 million donation to the CDC to stop the spread of Ebola, and a $120 million commitment to education in the Bay Area.

Yes, and $99 million to San Francisco General hospital, the leading trauma/head wound hospital in America to build a new wing there.

Priscilla Chan Zuckerberg is a doctor and wealthy in her own right.  They live in San Francisco and she has spearheaded helping fund research and care at SF General.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He did really invent it. Social media "similar' sites came before FB. He just improved on it. (I don't call it that, whatever) Why announce he's doing this?

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

He did really invent it. Social media sites came before FB. He just improved on it. (I don't call it that, whatever) Why announce he's doing this?

Why not?

It inspires others to do the same, that's already been proven by Bill Gates.

So again I ask: Why not?