Respected Contributor

Your thoughts on classroom "alternative seating"?

Alternative seating in a classroom is where the teacher sets up the classroom where students either have a seat that's different from the traditional chair or they can choose from many different kinds of seats. These seats could be regular chairs, bean bags, pillows on the floor, exercise balls, etc. They say that this creates an environment where students are more comfortable and more likely to pay attention.

Your thoughts?

Image result for alternative seating classrooms

Respected Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on classroom "alternative seating"?

I don't know.  Theories are great, but what are the actual results?  That would impact my view on it.

Honored Contributor

I actually did that during my student teaching days and it did work with the kids actually fully engaged in what I asked them to do.  The lead teacher returned and had a fit and that was the end of it.  I guess I was 15 years ahead of my time.  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I actually did that during my student teaching days and it did work with the kids actually fully engaged in what I asked them to do.  The lead teacher returned and had a fit and that was the end of it.  I guess I was 15 years ahead of my time.  

Why didn't she know during your student teaching?

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I don't know.  Theories are great, but what are the actual results?  That would impact my view on it.

I think, with anything, it depends on how the teacher manages it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Mellie32  It was a very strict school and the teacher had been around forever so stuck in her ways probably.  

I remember the school was so under wraps that one of the other teachers remarked that she was waiting for the manual on how to correctly go the bathroom in the building because she was sure that was coming.  

BTW, I was teaching 2nd grade for which I think this is appropriate. No way this works once the kids become aware of each other and themselves in the older grades.  Separation and structure at that point is a good thing! 

Honored Contributor

I don't know, I could see this being a good thing. I wonder what age they would start it?

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Mellie32  It was a very strict school and the teacher had been around forever so stuck in her ways probably.  

I remember the school was so under wraps that one of the other teachers remarked that she was waiting for the manual on how to correctly go the bathroom in the building because she was sure that was coming.  

BTW, I was teaching 2nd grade for which I think this is appropriate. No way this works once the kids become aware of each other and themselves in the older grades.  Separation and structure at that point is a good thing! 

No, I mean -- you said "when she returned and had a fit" --- she wasn't there the whole time knowing that you had put alternative seating in the classroom?

Honored Contributor

Won't the kids fight over the more fun seats?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My initial impression is that it could cause more problems than it helps solve (seems like it would make it harder for them to pay attention, not easier...and what if one kid hogs the "good" bean bag chair, etc.)  I'd be curious to read about results and experiences in classrooms where it's been done.

ETA: Something else that occurs to me is that one of the things kids need to learn and have "enforced" in school is good posture, and this would not be helpful for that at all.