Super Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I had a limit on my ring set of $200 in 1975--got one that was $199---not much of one but am/was not a diamond girl anyway---sold it a few years ago and for the gold--got nothing for the stone---which is fine---

Same here.  It appears diamonds have no resale value.  For my first marriage I got a marquis diamond engagement ring (on our first anniversary, BTW.  He said before he bought a diamond ring, he wanted to "make sure the marriage was going to last".  Guess what...it didn't)  Anyway, after the divorce I went back to the jewelery store where we bought the ring to sell it back to them.  The salesman just took a quick look at it and said he wasn't interested, that it was "scrap".  It certainly wasn't scrap when we bought it!  I took it to a pawn shop after that and got a decent price.

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

I definitely got the ring I wanted! I did not want an engagement ring, but only a band with diamonds. The center diamond is princess cut in a raised gallery. White & yellow gold. Absolutely stunning! Clean, but very elegant.

Valued Contributor

I have kind of a neat story:

While my (now husband) and I were in college, we saved our loose change and put it in a big glass jug every day. When we graduated we took the money (around $500, I think) to make a down payment on our rings. 

Then we put our rings on 'layaway' and slowly paid them off. 

Honored Contributor

I've had my rings reset several times.  I'm not particularly sentimental about "things" so when I tire of something, I change it.

I totally understand people who are sentimental about their rings though.