Honored Contributor

Re: You Know You're Getting Older When ...

@tansy wrote:

On and off I follow a blog called Times Goes By.  I'm not sure about linking to a blog here, but it should come up easily in a search.  In her entry for today she talks about falls and references another post about being scared now around children who might knock her over.  

After being a very healthy woman, she's battling a recent diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.

@tansy

Three people very close to us died of pancreatic cancer, one in his early 30s.  There is some thinking that it's a mutation of a breast cancer gene.  Horrible, just horrible.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

On and off I follow a blog called Times Goes By.  I'm not sure about linking to a blog here, but it should come up easily in a search.  In her entry for today she talks about falls and references another post about being scared now around children who might knock her over.  

After being a very healthy woman, she's battling a recent diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.

I don't think about it every time I'm around crowds and small children, but I do think about it now and then in some situations. I've always been paranoid about crowded places with exposed feet - I've had my feet stepped on quite a bit wearing open sandals, and...not fun. So I usually wear athletic type shoes in most lotta-people situations. When I was recovering from my bad fall, one reason I decided to use a cane then was the fear of someone accidentally bumping me when I was unsteady to start with at that time.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

For me it was this year when I asked several friends if they wanted to go see Lady Gaga with me and none did.  The younger me would have gone without them; the me this year hemmed and hawed and didn't go.

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

For me it was this year when I asked several friends if they wanted to go see Lady Gaga with me and none did.  The younger me would have gone without them; the me this year hemmed and hawed and didn't go.

Even when younger I found it could be complicated to get multiple people to go to a concert/performance of any kind. In the days before instant money transfers through bank or other apps or FB, if everyone wanted to sit together (presumed) one person had to order hundreds of dollars worth of tickets and wouldn't be sure if/when they would be rembursed, and few were willing to do that for 3-4 people.

There are things I'm happy to do alone, and things I rarely or never will. In general daylight hours I'm up for it, after dark not so much.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Before I got both of my knees replaced (at the same time), I bought 2 of the Hurry Canes in 3 different colors.

My knees had gotten so bad I could hardly walk.  They were wonderful!  I like the feet on the canes.  I can stand them up on their own if I need to.

I used them for a short time (to balance) after the operation but don't use them now.

I recommend them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@catchersmom...it gets worse. I'm in my 60's and receive cremation/funeral/buriel info in the mail a couple times a week. Smiley Sad 

@catwhispererI get those too; at least one a week.

Super Contributor

@Moonchilde Thought of you and this thread this morning lol....

When I first wake up and come downstairs I have to go down the stairs sideways; legs and feet too stiff at first. I tell others it was from my years of playing tennis and being a catcher in softball; sounds so much more impressive than "I'm getting old and my legs don't wake up when the rest of me does" Smiley Wink

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Respected Contributor

@q-girl wrote:

Ahh, yes, the cane. I've needed one for seven or eight years now. I am 60 yrs. old, 61 in November. I use it for numbness/weakness secondary to bilateral chronic and acute lower extremity radiculopathy. Don't have the HurriCane, but am considering because I am becoming less stable on a regular cane as the numbness progresses. I've even considered a rollator, but the thought of THAT really makes me feel old.

I think the one thing that really makes me feel old is the fact that I can no longer wear my beloved heels. I always loved heels - high, higher, and even higher heels were my obsession. My flats were 2 to 3 inch wedges or platforms. I LOVED MY HEELS!!! When my body refused to wear even most low heels without pain, and I had to trade them in for flat, low to the ground, COMFORT and SUPPORTIVE shoes, well. . . . .I really felt old. 

Hugs. . .

I'm soon to be 63 and don't need a cane; however, I sold my home a year ago and when I decluttered to decide what to take with  me I threw out a TON of clothes but the number of shoes in my closet went back probably 15 years and you could see the slow progression to lower heels, then wedges and eventually more flats. 

My sister in law (also in her 60s) and I were out shopping and I was looking at sandals this summer and these young girls were shoe shopping trying on stilletto like shoes and my SIL says out loud - "yep, remember that's what we used to wear before we ruined our feet" and they laughed.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

You get requests from charities to include them in your will.  

Really?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@excpa wrote:

You get requests from charities to include them in your will.  

Really?

@excpa

So do I, it's not uncommon. PBS is one that requests endowments in wills.  

Many churches also suggest it.