Honored Contributor

Re: You Know You're Getting Older When ...

I have several old ordinary adjustable canes left over from various surgeries so I bought the rubber quad bottoms and retrofitted them with new "feet" for very little cost.  I don't like the folding canes... Don't trust them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I love my HurryCane, and it's great to be old enough that it doesn't occasion stares when I use it. I got a red one at a spectacular discount at Walgreens online. One thing to bear in mind if you're a new HurryCane user: The flexibility of the cane at the base takes time to develop and only happens with use. It won't have much flex when you first get it, so it'll be more like a regular cane, but as the elastics are used, it'll develop play.

And if you thought a cane was a treat, you're going to be over the moon when you get your first Rollator! I love mine. I got a big one by ProBasics with a gorgeous blue flame design, very snazzy. It's wonderful for taking walks because it helps with uneven pavement and I always have a place to sit. It folds and I throw it in the car when I'm going to the walking park. I'd recommend sizing up for comfort and getting one that doesn't require you to remove a wire basket under the seat to fold it. Mine has a black vinyl or nylon basket that I think is better than the wire baskets because it protects your items from view and can hold small, loose things. My model is currently about $85 in blue on Amazon, where I bought it.

Go speed racer, go!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have several old ordinary adjustable canes left over from various surgeries so I bought the rubber quad bottoms and retrofitted them with new "feet" for very little cost.  I don't like the folding canes... Don't trust them. 

I know lots of people do that with regular canes. But that wouldn't give the pivot movements the Hurry Cane has. I never thought much about folding canes until I used the cane after my accident and found that figuring out what to do with it/where to put it out in public (restaurant, booth or table) made me nuts; folding started to get more attractive.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I kept a cane, and a walker that my folks had to use.  

Regular Contributor

I am so glad I saw this thread.  I just ordered the 911 pendant because of you nice people.  I didn't want a monthly charge and put off getting something; now I saw this and immediately purchased it.  I live alone and had a fall the other day, so I'm cognizant of what could happen.  Thank you for posting this!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624

I see the possibility of pinching your finger when breaking it down, I just don't do it. On the other hand, it's a real benefit to be able to set the right length or height of the cane for yourself.

It's sturdy and the foot is wonderful for stability.

Honored Contributor

There are times when I could use a cane.

But I just won't break down and do it.

Too much pride, I guess.

I rarely go anywhere without one of my kids, I lean on them if I need to!

I always plan my walking with an escape in mind if I feel like I'm unsteady.

It changes your life.

Respected Contributor

IMG_0197.JPG

Respected Contributor

I first felt old with menopause at 46. Accepted this until 4 years ago at 61 when everything seemed to go and keep going. 

Arthritis everywhere, I creak more than an old door hinge. Chronic anemia, I get ferritin  infusions regularly, every 2-5 months, diabetic neuropathy , 5 pinched nerves in neck, stenosis  in spine etc.

I feel decrepit, then I look in mirror after makeup, jewelry, wig, clothes and I am shocked at how good I look.

My husband still thinks I'm beautiful and sexy, I'm blessed.

Honored Contributor

I don't feel old, and I don't think I look older.   My friends range from 60s to 90s ... we are all involved in various charity and church activities.

I think the key for us is that we keep active.  My "mentor" just turned 94!  (I'm 75)