Respected Contributor

Re: Yes, Another Mask Thread. Open at Your Own Risk!

@minimalistWF wrote:

@QueenDanceALot 

If someone actually has a medical condition keeping them from wearing a mask, then they are also at a very high risk with the virus, so they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be in public places to begin with.  

So ridiculous how these "karens" are coming out of the woodwork with fake medical conditions.  One can only hope that karma works in this situation.

Ok this bothers me a lot. I know of someone who was assaulted and has ptsd and cannot wear a mask without having the assault come back. Also those with mental issues are not faking it. And breathing issues. Please consider that not everyone is not wearing a mask just to be an a**

Respected Contributor

@kimbobimbo wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@dex wrote:

We had that mandate since last Tuesday.People wear them in business and restaurants but they don't wear them properly.Some have their noses uncovered and others keep lifting them aside to let air in or out.People are not wearing them outside though no matter how difficult it can be to social distance.I also notice a few people pull them down to converse...like they feel we need to see their lips move to hear.Its all better that before when few attempted to wear them

See this is why some who question the use of masks might be more right that many want to admit. 

Masks aren't a cure all to begin with (I know, no one here said they were). Then you add people not wearing them correctly, being too hot and feeling smothered by them, and constantly lowering to get air, unfog their glasses, scratch an itch, etc, and they may actually be doing more harm than the mask is doing any good. 

The false sense of security reduces social distancing, the uncomfortableness of them and constantly needing to fuss with something that close to your face, just makes them POSSIBLY worse than being without one before it is all said and done.

We are not in one of Ohio's mandatory counties but my husband's employer decided on Monday this week, to institute a mandatory mask policy for all employees effective yesterday. Imagine that when they don't even do any sanitizing of surfaces anymore (that lasted about a week)

99% of the people (UPS hub) work in a warehouse type setting, with no air conditioning and no fans to move the air. It's a heat index of 100 degrees today, temps in the mid 90's and super humid. The trucks that many of the workers have to be in as they load and unload both semis and package cars can be well over 100 degrees on days like this. This is the 11th day in a row for this kind of weather. I can't imagine having have my face covered for 8 to 10 hours a day in those conditions. And I don't see it lasting. It's simply not sustainable to work at the pace they expect, in that kind of heat, and have your mouth and nose covered. I struggle in the store some times, if they don't have the air turned down low enough, can't imagine doing that all day in this heat.

I look for Ohio to mandate them state wide before too many more days. Right now it is by county and where there are the highest numbers, which I appreciate, not just treating every place the same, when the reality is the numbers are quite different.

There is no valid reason or argument against wearing masks - this is propaganda and promotes very risky (not to mention selfish) behavior.

Again that is just untrue. As I posted in response to someone else I know of someone who was assaulted and cannot wear a mask without having that all come back. And this person has been screamed at in public over it and that only made the issues worse. Making blanket statements about people not wearing masks is wrong. Breathing problems, anxiety issue and ptsd are many reasons one migh not be able to wear a mask. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@minimalistWF wrote:

@QueenDanceALot 

If someone actually has a medical condition keeping them from wearing a mask, then they are also at a very high risk with the virus, so they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be in public places to begin with.  

So ridiculous how these "karens" are coming out of the woodwork with fake medical conditions.  One can only hope that karma works in this situation.

Ok this bothers me a lot. I know of someone who was assaulted and has ptsd and cannot wear a mask without having the assault come back. Also those with mental issues are not faking it. And breathing issues. Please consider that not everyone is not wearing a mask just to be an a**

That is something I had not considered @Lali1 are the emotions of men and women regarding masks in the past.  I would assume the use of Karen's would be a racial slur, maybe I am wrong.  The mods would know for sure.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@minimalistWF wrote:

@QueenDanceALot 

That is something I had not considered @Lali1 are the emotions of men and women regarding masks in the past.  I would assume the use of Karen's would be a racial slur, maybe I am wrong.  The mods would know for sure.

Of course many people don't think about anything but their own circumstance. Being so close to me I get so upset reading the comments about how selfish and awful these people are. I'm sure some with autism and other issues have some of the same issues with masks. People just can't seem to put themselves in others shoes. 
Karen is a racial slur imo but the mods are selective about what they allow and don't. It can be frustrating.  

Valued Contributor

I welcome any and all face mask threads.  

While I have compassion for those with a medical reason for not wearing a mask, one does not have to wear it while driving or walking through the parking lot of the store.  No, all one has to do, is before entering put it on.  One should be able to go in and out fairly quickly without a problem during off peak hours.  If not, it would be better to have your groceries delivered to your residence.  

Regarding non mask wearers getting assaulted..no, I have never witnessed that.  What I have witnessed is people who claim they have limited lung function get extremely combative whether it's with a store employee or another shopper who has mentioned their lack of following the mandate.  

Suffice it to say, many people just don't like being told what to do, period! 

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@reiki604 I think the orders are helpful.  I didn't understand all that was going on, basically in NY all business closed in mid march,  and I felt we only had a few cases, deaths, not unusual in NYC where the population is large and dense, thousands of people die every day.  But when we were told we had to wear masks, I didn't give it a second thought.  i knew I had to do it.  And they weren't even on sale anywhere I shopped, and I didn't feel like making one with a rubber band.  Etsy came to my rescue.  Government orders help.

I also live in NYC and knew from the beginning the potential for the devastation of the death and sickness rate by being in the medical profession. The reasons that the stores were not selling masks is because there was a severe shortage of them and they were required by healthcare workers. Fortunately I had a large supply of N95 masks, goggles and coveralls from when I did fit testing for my staff when I was working. I donated them to a friend of mine who works in the ER of a hospital when they were given 1 mask a week to use with no eye shields or coveralls or gowns for protection. All one had to do was turn on the local TV stations to see what was going on within the 5 boros.

There is no excuse now not to wear a mask due to lack of  availability. Only selfishness or obstinance. Of course there will be the occasional outlier who should rely on others to help them out. There is no shame in asking for help in an emergency

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@reiki604 I think the orders are helpful.  I didn't understand all that was going on, basically in NY all business closed in mid march,  and I felt we only had a few cases, deaths, not unusual in NYC where the population is large and dense, thousands of people die every day.  But when we were told we had to wear masks, I didn't give it a second thought.  i knew I had to do it.  And they weren't even on sale anywhere I shopped, and I didn't feel like making one with a rubber band.  Etsy came to my rescue.  Government orders help.

I also live in NYC and knew from the beginning the potential for the devastation of the death and sickness rate by being in the medical profession. The reasons that the stores were not selling masks is because there was a severe shortage of them and they were required by healthcare workers. Fortunately I had a large supply of N95 masks, goggles and coveralls from when I did fit testing for my staff when I was working. I donated them to a friend of mine who works in the ER of a hospital when they were given 1 mask a week to use with no eye shields or coveralls or gowns for protection. All one had to do was turn on the local TV stations to see what was going on within the 5 boros.

There is no excuse now not to wear a mask due to lack of  availability. Only selfishness or obstinance. Of course there will be the occasional outlier who should rely on others to help them out. There is no shame in asking for help in an emergency

Exactly, @reiki604. Or get a shield.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Mominohio 

I don't want to get into a debate about the efficacy of masks but the reason our Governor has mandated them statewide is we are seeing numbers going up, up all over the state.

Doing it county by county would be really pointless, much like how I feel about doing it state by state. 

I have to stand by the idea that having masks that aren't used properly, and are a constant touch point, and being removed are probably as bad or worse than no mask. At least with no mask, we are tending to back off of others and not have a false sense of security and are less likely to have our hands in our face and all over the face covering.

And we absolutely cannot treat every city, every county and every state the same when it comes to this. 

Some of you live in such densely populated areas, that hundreds or thousands of you are living in the same building, and just stepping out the front door exposes you to the air being breathed by hundreds of others in hallways and elevators and public transportation etc. A mask as those people step out the front door might just be necessary. 

Others of us live in places that where we step out the front door, we don't see anyone or any other building sometimes for miles. We go into the local store, and there is one clerk and two other cars in the parking lot we are so rural. 

Some counties have thousands of new cases a day, and others have only had a dozen cases during the entire epidemic (some counties in even more rural states than mine probably less). 

Telling those two drastically different situations that they have to follow the exact same procedures is just ridiculous. I'd expect some similarities of procedures, but this one size fits all approach rarely works well in any circumstance, and is obviously not necessary or we would see the numbers the same everywhere. 

Our lifestyles, population, density, etc vary greatly across the nation, and so should our approach to dealing with the virus.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio   wrote

I have to stand by the idea that having masks that aren't used properly, and are a constant touch point, and being removed are probably as bad or worse than no mask. At least with no mask, we are tending to back off of others and not have a false sense of security and are less likely to have our hands in our face and all over the face covering.

Others of us live in places that where we step out the front door, we don't see anyone or any other building sometimes for miles. We go into the local store, and there is one clerk and two other cars in the parking lot we are so rural. 

so which is it you live in an area so rural you don't see anyone hardly ever  how can stores in your area afford to stay in business?  where do your stores get their deliveries from?

or your live where people are constantly touching their masks

to me even if people are touching their masks hopefully their droplets are staying inside the mask lining

Isn't the idea to wear masks because anyone can be a silent spreader

Honored Contributor

@kimbobimbo wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@dex wrote:

We had that mandate since last Tuesday.People wear them in business and restaurants but they don't wear them properly.Some have their noses uncovered and others keep lifting them aside to let air in or out.People are not wearing them outside though no matter how difficult it can be to social distance.I also notice a few people pull them down to converse...like they feel we need to see their lips move to hear.Its all better that before when few attempted to wear them

See this is why some who question the use of masks might be more right that many want to admit. 

Masks aren't a cure all to begin with (I know, no one here said they were). Then you add people not wearing them correctly, being too hot and feeling smothered by them, and constantly lowering to get air, unfog their glasses, scratch an itch, etc, and they may actually be doing more harm than the mask is doing any good. 

The false sense of security reduces social distancing, the uncomfortableness of them and constantly needing to fuss with something that close to your face, just makes them POSSIBLY worse than being without one before it is all said and done.

We are not in one of Ohio's mandatory counties but my husband's employer decided on Monday this week, to institute a mandatory mask policy for all employees effective yesterday. Imagine that when they don't even do any sanitizing of surfaces anymore (that lasted about a week)

99% of the people (UPS hub) work in a warehouse type setting, with no air conditioning and no fans to move the air. It's a heat index of 100 degrees today, temps in the mid 90's and super humid. The trucks that many of the workers have to be in as they load and unload both semis and package cars can be well over 100 degrees on days like this. This is the 11th day in a row for this kind of weather. I can't imagine having have my face covered for 8 to 10 hours a day in those conditions. And I don't see it lasting. It's simply not sustainable to work at the pace they expect, in that kind of heat, and have your mouth and nose covered. I struggle in the store some times, if they don't have the air turned down low enough, can't imagine doing that all day in this heat.

I look for Ohio to mandate them state wide before too many more days. Right now it is by county and where there are the highest numbers, which I appreciate, not just treating every place the same, when the reality is the numbers are quite different.

There is no valid reason or argument against wearing masks - this is propaganda and promotes very risky (not to mention selfish) behavior.

Yes there are many valid arguments about the wearing of masks and the mandating it. One person's selfish is another person's personal liberty. 

There are 'experts' on both sides that disagree on the level of efficacy of mask wearing. 

And the biggest kick back against mandatory mask wearing is born in all the lies and deceptions that have surrounded the 'numbers' and the protocols in dealing with this virus from day one. Shaming mask wearing in the beginning, denying they were necessary or effective (only to completely renege on that now and claim this is THE answer), padding the numbers of deaths, etc. 

How darn smart  (or honest) were all these experts and high level doctors that didn't know masks were necessary from day one, but demand that they are now? I really don't think there was some huge discovery about the virus and the way it acts that made that change a completely unexpected turn. They lied from the start or were incompetent from the start. 

The virus is real. It is/can be dangerous in some people. But I totally understand the people who believe a lot of what we are being fed is fabricated, exaggerated, politicized. It most definitely is both of these things.