Honored Contributor

Re: Yes, Another Mask Thread. Open at Your Own Risk!

Thanks for the discussion and replies.

One of my oldest and best friends lives in Brooklyn NY(I lived in NYC for years) and he has told me that EVERYONE where he lives wears a mask.  But last week he said he noticed that there are a few out and about not wearing them now.  He figured it was because of the re-opening relaxation and the heat.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

What will their excuse be for not wearing a face shield?  confused.gif

@Mz iMac  Maybe TPTB should include that in their statements..."face coverings...masks if you can wear one, face shield if you can't. 

I posted a week or so ago about a NH (americanquiltco dot come I think) company that makes masks (adult and child) and face shields...each for the same price...$8.  So it isn't like it's a financial hardship.  Maybe people honestly don't know about them (doubt it for most) or they are following the letter rather than the spirit of the statement.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mz iMac  Maybe TPTB should include that in their statements..."face coverings...masks if you can wear one, face shield if you can't. 

I posted a week or so ago about a NH (americanquiltco dot come I think) company that makes masks (adult and child) and face shields...each for the same price...$8.  So it isn't like it's a financial hardship.  Maybe people honestly don't know about them (doubt it for most) or they are following the letter rather than the spirit of the statement.

@esmerelda Sadly for many, $8 is quite a lot of money and may be the difference between having a meal for the day or not.

@esmerelda wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Thanks for the discussion and replies.

One of my oldest and best friends lives in Brooklyn NY(I lived in NYC for years) and he has told me that EVERYONE where he lives wears a mask.  But last week he said he noticed that there are a few out and about not wearing them now.  He figured it was because of the re-opening relaxation and the heat.

@QueenDanceALot   That's exactly the sentiment of the woman who wanted to get on my elevator (up scroll), who said "This is almost over!"  The problem when states begin to reopen is that some people assume that means everything is ok now and they can relax when in fact this is the time to remain even more vigilant and disciplined -- when you reopen and interaction increases.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

NC has been on full time masks a week or so.  The young couple in the grocery store with the three year old didn't have on any masks of course.  It was a state wide mandate!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@reiki604 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@esmerelda Sadly for many, $8 is quite a lot of money and may be the difference between having a meal for the day or not.

@reiki604  I don't mean to sound insensitive, but if they can't wear a mask and can't scrape together $8 for a face shield, have no family or friends to help and can't get assistance from some Government agency...well, I'm speechless.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I don't go out often, but wear a mask and disposable gloves when I do.  I hadn't gone out in the heat until the other day, until then, I didn't think the mask was uncomfortable, but for some reason, my nose itched like crazy, must have been my hot breath, which fogged my readers, lol, what a mess!

I needed yealys labs done, and was greeted, outside, with "take off your mask and gloves, five questions, use the purifier on your hands, take a mask, and there was a toe kick door  opener.  Two of us sat inside, others sat outside.

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

Just an FYI to those who live in the suburbs or a rural/outlier area where you feel relatively safe ~~

I have heard both Dr. Anthony Fauci and esteemed epidemiologist Michael Osterholm state it doesn't matter where you live, this virus can and will hunt.you.down. 

@magicmoodz 

I drop whatever I'm doing when I see that Michael Osterholm is being interviewed.

And I remember back probably 2 months that epidemiologists/researchers/doctors were saying (when the virus was devastating NYC) that after that got under control that because of travel, much of it by people looking to get to "safer" ground, these hot spots were going to keep popping up all over the country, and no one could/can predict where.

@QueenDanceALot I feel the same way about Michael Osterholm. It's not because he is so good looking or charming, but I find his knowledge and expertise to be very charismatic and sexy. I want to read his book about super bugs.

Esteemed Contributor

Free masks are being offered all over!  Those who want one can get one.  That's just an excuse.  

Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 I think the orders are helpful.  I didn't understand all that was going on, basically in NY all business closed in mid march,  and I felt we only had a few cases, deaths, not unusual in NYC where the population is large and dense, thousands of people die every day.  But when we were told we had to wear masks, I didn't give it a second thought.  i knew I had to do it.  And they weren't even on sale anywhere I shopped, and I didn't feel like making one with a rubber band.  Etsy came to my rescue.  Government orders help.