Respected Contributor

Re: Wrongful death suit...really?

[ Edited ]

I've never lost my husband and daughter in a plane crash.  I don't know much about it but it was foggy and even law enforcement aircraft were grounded.  This is just my opinion but that helicopter should never have taken off given the weather conditions and heavy fog in the area.  I don't know if I would file suit or not but it would be hard to live with knowing this tragedy could have been avoided.  I feel so bad for all the families who lost loved ones.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

Oh my @esmerelda , I can't believe you started this thread on the speculation of motive! Did you ever think about the other families as well? They along with the Bryant family have every right to sue. 

Oh my @JaneMarple @Porcelain   reviewing my original post I see no mention of motive. 🤭

Have you heard the other families are suing?  I haven't. 

Slow day at the echo chamber?

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

It is my understanding that the National Transportation Safety Board is still investigating the crash for cause. Seems a little early to be filing the lawsuit.

Anger, sadness, etc. Is understandable. Filing for general damage, economic damage, punitive damages and more is a lawsuit for a lot of money. 

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda  Of course the pilot and company are liable.  The company should never have allowed the pilot to take off and the pilot had an obligation to know conditions were not safe when filing the flight plan!  From what I understand even though the pilot was instrument rated, the copter did not have the needed equipment for it.  Just because Vanessa Bryant is  rich that doesn't mean the company gets a pass!! It's not about money but the lost lives due to negligence  The pilots family should also sue the company.  My father was a pilot with instrument   rating  and before he got his own plane, the company he rented planes from would absolutely not let any pilot fly in poor weather conditions no matter what.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple I'm glad I don't know anyone like that. I know of a few people who ask a lot of provokative questions. "Just asking questions. Just starting the conversation. So is animal abuse / Satanic cannibalism / bare feet on airplanes / mowing your lawn at 5 AM really that bad?" Yeah yeah we all know you're an edge lord. Congratulations on speaking the forbidden. Pat pat on the back.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I read an article a few weeks ago that the company had already shut down.

I am going to assume that it's her anger and grief speaking, and perhaps she will let it go.

@icezeus 

People are assuming it's about the money ... it's not.  Melissa Rivers filed a suit against the medical facility where Joan died due to negligence.   For all we know, Vanessa will donate the money to charities.

Honored Contributor

more than likely they are suing the pilot also because maybe he carries some type of liability insurance himself AND he should be covered by workmans compensation since he was not the owner of the company or the helicopter.

when someone is driving a car and they hit you, you go after their insurance company, the driver, and the owner of the car.

this was not a surprise and i expect ALL of the families to be doing the same.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@esmerelda  Of course the pilot and company are liable.  The company should never have allowed the pilot to take off and the pilot had an obligation to know conditions were not safe when filing the flight plan!  From what I understand even though the pilot was instrument rated, the copter did not have the needed equipment for it.  Just because Vanessa Bryant is  rich that doesn't mean the company gets a pass!! It's not about money but the lost lives due to negligence  The pilots family should also sue the company.  My father was a pilot with instrument   rating  and before he got his own plane, the company he rented planes from would absolutely not let any pilot fly in poor weather conditions no matter what.

@Pook I don't know what kind of arrangement the pilot had with the company. He could have been an independent operator notvemployed by the company. I don't know. 

I've admired her courage and grace through all of this, and then to hear...on the day of the public memorial...that she had filed a lawsuit...it was disappointing. That's all. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

The suit claims that the pilot, Ara Zobayan, was “negligent” in his operation of the aircraft as he navigated through a heavy fog, and it accuses Island Express of taking unnecessary risk given the circumstances. Zobayan was also killed in the crash.

“Defendant Island Express Helicopters’ breach of its duty and negligence caused the injuries and damages complained of herein and Plaintiffs’ deceased, Kobe Bryant, was killed as a direct result of the negligent conduct of Zobayan for which Defendant Island Express Helicopters is vicariously liable in all respects.” (stated in a copy of the lawsuit.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda I can't see why it would be disappointing.  Ultimately the company and the pilot are liable no matter what arrangement the pilot had with the company.