Honored Contributor

Re: Would you send a gift for this?

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's obviously a gift grab. The question is whether you need to remain in their favor. If they are in a position to affect you negatively then send a gift and consider it the cost of remaining in good standing. Otherwise, not a chance.

I tend to agree with this. Obviously, these people knew the OP well enough to have her address, probably, as noted, as a business contact... If I did send a gift, it would be as minimal as possible without being outright chintzy and while still being in good taste... I don't think they're looking for a card...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I like others' ideas of sending your regrets for attending the nuptials, and then later when you see them at the campground area, bring them a bottle of champagne or another small token of "congratulations" such as a pretty picture frame or vase.  I don't think it needs to be anything over-the-top expensive but just shows as a token of your sharing in their happy occasion. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

If you do business with them, obviously you do know them.  They are business associates and if their business is important to you, send a gift.  Don't spend a lot of money, send something that looks like it's more expensive than it is.  If they are registered, select from that.  If you don't care about their business, send a nice card and a bottle of wine. 

Actually we are customers of their business. They have a small tailoring /alterations shop with a post office in there and a mac machine from our bank right next to our campground. We have a PO box there and I frequently go there to get my mail  and buy rolls of  quarters from them for the laundromat. Often we will stop and chat with them as they are very pleasant.I once had her hem a dress for me to wear to an event. There are pop machines in there too & I'll go in there when I'm doing my laundry to get a cold drink. That is our total assoc with them.

So you're giving them business. What you describe seems pretty tenuous in terms of justifying anything but a heartfelt regrets. You could add that you're looking forward to seeing them when you return to the area, and you could consider bringing a bottle of wine at that time as a gift. But  from what you've said, I don't think anything else is really called for, unless you feel moved to give more.

Edited to add that in my experience, people are like cats. Give them something once, they appreciate it. Give them something twice, and they will now expect it. As you might expect to start getting invitations to all kinds of gift-customary social functions involving their extended family. I'd ****** this one in the budlet with the regrets and follow-up token gift in person.

Of course, since the couple works for a circus, they might not even be in town when you get back. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I have definitely decided it is going to be send the RSVP with regrets and then send a card only.