Honored Contributor

Murder Case in San Francisco Area

@Noel7 and other Bay area residents. I read about a murder case in your area several days ago where the accused was released on bail. Not unusual but her bail was set over $300 million and her wealthy friends and relatives put the money up for her. She is accused of killing her husband and there are some that are worried that she may skip out and leave the country.

The article did say that she has been fitted with an ankle device and some sort of home confinement. Any more news for this case? I find it very interesting.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Re: Murder Case in San Francisco Area

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 and other Bay area residents. I read about a murder case in your area several days ago where the accused was released on bail. Not unusual but her bail was set over $300 million and her wealthy friends and relatives put the money up for her. She is accused of killing her husband and there are some that are worried that she may skip out and leave the country.

The article did say that she has been fitted with an ankle device and some sort of home confinement. Any more news for this case? I find it very interesting.

Hi @JaneMarple

So far, I don't know any more than you do.  I've always been leery of the bail system and this one takes the cake.  I'll see if I can find anything in the local news.

Honored Contributor

Wow, the jurisdiction which required her to post the bond is probably hoping and praying she'll skip and they'll have a windfall.  If she skips the country, they'll also be rid of her, a total win/win.   Most municipalities are barely scraping by these day and I'm sure they could use $300M.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Golly, I've never heard of a bail so high, but then I'm not that conversant with the legal system.  Is that not pretty unusual?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple

OK, now I remember the case, this is a new twist to it.

It's in San Mateo county.  Li lives in a very wealthy area just south of SF and is from a wealthy Chinese family.  Born in China, she is a US citizen.  Apparently her family in China is also very wealthy and the extended family pooled their money together to meet any bail request.

The prosecution thinks she hired a killer for her husband because he wanted custody of the children.  IMO it's a toss up as to whether she is a flight risk.

Honored Contributor

That bond would be illegal in New Mexico.  Judges are not allowed to set it so high there no expectation that the accused couldn't pay it. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

That bond would be illegal in New Mexico.  Judges are not allowed to set it so high there no expectation that the accused couldn't pay it. 

@Kachina624

Supposedly, Li is from a large and well known family in CA and in China.

The judge must have known that and wanted it high enough to make her think twice about leaving the country, just a guess.

Respected Contributor

Just wondering if part of the bail arrangement, she had to surrender her passport.  Not that it would necessarily stop her anyway, but she does have children to consider too.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Just wondering if part of the bail arrangement, she had to surrender her passport.  Not that it would necessarily stop her anyway, but she does have children to consider too.

Hi @RoughDraft, this crime story has me wondering if she can slip her ankle bracelet off and flee the country on a private jet. Meanwhile where are the kids and who is taking care of them?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

Hi @RoughDraft, this crime story has me wondering if she can slip her ankle bracelet off and flee the country on a private jet. Meanwhile where are the kids and who is taking care of them?

@JaneMarple  Yes, crooks cut those ankle monitors off all the time and a abscond.  If she did take off, somebody in California would get $300M plus not have to pay for what would probably be a lengthy, complex murder trial. Win/win. Let her go.