Honored Contributor

Would you send a gift for this?

We got a wedding invitation in the mail today. It is a couple we barely know - as a matter of fact - we didn't even know their last names until we got the invitation. The wedding is in Pittsburgh and will occur several weeks before we even go back for the summer so we are returning the RSVP that we can not attend. However, the couple are people who we do business with regularly every summer while we are home, and we don't want to insult them. I was thinking we could just send a nice card.

Valued Contributor

Re: Would you send a gift for this?

I hate to say it but I believe some wedding invitations are for receiving a gift. Only you know if the couple will be  upset by not receiving a gift. Me personally, if I didn't know their last name, I would not feel obligated to send a gift!!!

Esteemed Contributor

If you didn't know their last name, you really don't know them that well at all. I would say NO to the invite and probably not even send a card.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

If you didn't know their last name, you really don't know them that well at all. I would say NO to the invite and probably not even send a card.

I agree. I'd send my regrets and be done.  No card or gift. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

If you do business with them, obviously you do know them.  They are business associates and if their business is important to you, send a gift.  Don't spend a lot of money, send something that looks like it's more expensive than it is.  If they are registered, select from that.  If you don't care about their business, send a nice card and a bottle of wine. 

Honored Contributor

It's obviously a gift grab. The question is whether you need to remain in their favor. If they are in a position to affect you negatively then send a gift and consider it the cost of remaining in good standing. Otherwise, not a chance.

Valued Contributor

I always err on the side of overdoing.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's obviously a gift grab. The question is whether you need to remain in their favor. If they are in a position to affect you negatively then send a gift and consider it the cost of remaining in good standing. Otherwise, not a chance.

The problem with a gift card in circumstances like that is they can't send a $25 or $30 gift card; that would be too cheap.  But they can "mask" a gift.  A smart shopper can always select a gift that looks more expensive than it is. This isn't the kid from down the street, it's a business associate.

Respected Contributor

NO~!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

The problem with a gift card in circumstances like that is they can't send a $25 or $30 gift card; that would be too cheap.  But they can "mask" a gift.  A smart shopper can always select a gift that looks more expensive than it is. This isn't the kid from down the street, it's a business associate.

I never mentioned anything about a gift card. For that matter, I'm against gift cards, have never given one to anyone and never will.