Respected Contributor

Re: Would dropping baggage fees make shorter lines at the Airport?

i agree - no baggage fees.  but there are other issues.  TSA shuts down the pre-cleared line from time to time - unannounced - after people have paid $85 for the privilege.  also more than 90% of the time TSA misses contraband being carried through according to the IG report.  really?  time to give this system the heave-ho.  waiting is the smaller of the issues, imho.  safety first. i don't mind waiting for safety -  but we're not getting it.

Respected Contributor

I don't know whether that would help or not but what WOULD help some is if the airlines would enforce their one carry-on rule - then there wouldn't be the issues of having to xray the luggage while you wait and it'd help with those that take all the overhead space.  

Last time I flew, the person in the seat next to me had used the whole overhead bin and had 4 pieces of luggage.  My luggage had to be at my feet under the seat in front of me.  And as she was gathering her multiple pieces of luggage (she was there before me so I had no idea that all the stuff was hers), I was so angry.  If they are not gonna enforce the rules, then have everyone check their baggage and only be allowed one soft tote size for medications and things to occupy a child. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not read all the replies, but to the OP:  in a word: no.

i am a Road Warrior, on at least 4 - 6 flights a week.  Business travelers is vital to our economy and believe me, there is NOTHING glamorous about it.  Most of us will not check baggage as it slows down everything considerably.  I will NOT, ever check baggage.

TSA needs to be tossed out or a major overhaul.  I have been on 100s of airports and TSA is just horrible.  Get rid of them, hire private security modeled after countries who know how to do it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I only fly about once a year, to Las Vegas to golf. I check everything but my handbag. When I return, I often get to the airport four or five hours earlier than my flight because I ride with my sister and her DH to the airport. I cannot check any luggage or golf clubs until TWO hours before the flight, try sitting around with all that stuff, can go far. But, if I can't check my bag until two hours before my flight, and security lines are three hours long, how am I supposed to make my flight? My bags will arrive, but I won't. Something is very broken with this system and it needs to be fixed soon. Maybe they should let bags be free but charge $50 for the carryons instead.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I think the baggage fee for one bag should have to be included in the price of the ticket on any flight over 500 miles or whatever research shows causes the majority of travelers to carry more than a small carryon.. 

People love to think they're getting something for nothing, but even Southwest is charging for checked baggage; if they weren't, their flight prices could be even lower than they are.  Having all baggage fees added "after ticketing" just makes people imagine their trip is less expensive than it really is.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

I'm not sure that dropping the baggage fees would reduce the lines. I think a lot of people carry on baggage to get right out of the airport upon arrival - not because of the checked baggage fees.

I think there's a mix. I know some people who do that, but I've taken to flying only on Southwest the last few years specifically to avoid baggage fees and I know I'm not alone. I think a lot of business people who are only going to be in town for a day or two have reason to fly carry-on only, but people going on vacation usually carry more. I see families where every member of the family has a rolling carry-on bag, even small children.

I always check one large bag and carry on one smaller bag that fits my medications, some extra undies in case my luggage gets lost, and my computer and other electronics. It can fit in an overhead bin or under the seat.

Esteemed Contributor

Southwest doesn't charge for your first checked luggage. I just flew to Orlando and, as usual, people were bringing all sorts of carry-ons into the plane. This needs to stop. Instead of charging for the first checked bag, charge for carry-ons above a certain size. People do need to carry valuables and medications but the size of some of those carry-ons could hold a jewelry store AND a pharmacy. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

I'm not sure that dropping the baggage fees would reduce the lines. I think a lot of people carry on baggage to get right out of the airport upon arrival - not because of the checked baggage fees.

I think there's a mix. I know some people who do that, but I've taken to flying only on Southwest the last few years specifically to avoid baggage fees and I know I'm not alone. I think a lot of business people who are only going to be in town for a day or two have reason to fly carry-on only, but people going on vacation usually carry more. I see families where every member of the family has a rolling carry-on bag, even small children.

I always check one large bag and carry on one smaller bag that fits my medications, some extra undies in case my luggage gets lost, and my computer and other electronics. It can fit in an overhead bin or under the seat.

That's a good point.  I didn't think about families traveling and also how quickly (and how much) the baggage fees add up. 

My husband flies a few times a week every week, he mostly uses SW.  (He likes the drink coupons they send him) : )

Respected Contributor

I think the TSA needs to hire competent people, who don't steal, who can move people through the lines faster. 

Trusted Contributor

I travel internationally and you can check a bag for free.  The lines are still horrendous.  People caring on too much stuff.  They need to enforce the limits.

There are never enough open lines.