Respected Contributor

About 2 months ago, I arranged for a man to do some landscaping for me.  He did a great job, so I kept him on to mow my yard every 2 weeks.

I told him in advance, my neighbors were untrustworthy and he should NOT engage with them.  Apparently, unbenowst to me, he fancies himself as some kind "lothario" and has a problem NOT engaging with "the ladies".  My neighbors rent part of their house as AirBNB.  College girls were staying there the first month he did yard work for me.  He couldn't keep his mouth shut.  WHOEVER came out of that AirBNB unit, he'd speak to.  

Memorial day, my neighbor was preparing for a cook-out and he stood there glaring at her.  I warned him again "NOT to engage".

I've asked him numerous times to STAY OFF neighbor's property and not engage.

This evening when I got home, I noticed he'd left a large Home Depot bag of grass debris in my neighbor's yard.

I went outside and moved the bag to my trash can, then called him to REMIND him again to stay off their property.  He was trespassing!

He told me he had to go and he'd call me "right back".  He has NOT called me back.

For a 53-year old, he's very immature and mischievous.  (eyeroll)

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Would You FIRE this guy?

[ Edited ]

I think you've answered your own question.

(And don't you have some kind of boundary wall between your and your neighbor's property?  Did he walk across to leave the bag of debris there?)

Honored Contributor

Fire him if you want, but I wouldn't. So what if he talks to the neighbors. That's between them and him.  Maybe they don't mind his chatty nature.

Esteemed Contributor

He's my gardener and a grown man. I never would told him anything about my neighbors.  Why do that?

I wouldn't fire him.  Whatever's going is between him and your neighbor is between him and your neighbor.

Honored Contributor

We got the services of a landscaper.  He did a great job.  Almost immediately he got the services of both our neighbors (one end and the other)  He's raking in quite a little business.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only person who has a problem with the neighbors, is you @RinaRina . As evident from your numerous posts/threads complaining about them.

Those people that he is taking to might be his future clients.

It's fine if you don't like your neighbors, and don't want to talk to them, but you can't force others to feel the same as you.

You are not his mother, and have no right to tell a grown adult who they can and cannot talk to.

You may not have to worry about firing him.

He just might fire you as a client, and tell others just how difficult you can be, and to advise them to not take you on as a client.

If you don't think that doesn't, or can't happen, then you are wrong, because it can, and it does.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Good luck trying to find a replacement.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure you can tell someone what they can do or who they can speak with after they're finished mowing your grass.  Maybe he's got a lot in common with the "untrustworthy" neighbors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As long as he's doing a good job on my property, no, I would not fire him.  Who he wants to talk to is his business.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the others who say you can't tell him who he can and can't speak to / associate with.