Trusted Contributor

I made it to age 64 without breaking any bones....until last Wednesday. I was walking into the venue where my granddaughter's graduation was being held and the toe of my shoe got caught in the crack of the sidewalk. Down I went. I knew right away I broke something. Now I have to have surgery tomorrow to put in pins to hold the bone in place.

And of course, it's my right arm. I never realized how useless my left hand can be until I tried to put on makeup or even trying to open a can of food. I will never take my mobility for granted ever again.

Has anyone else had this type of surgery? What can I expect? TIA

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma petes 

Ow!

I'm so sorry that you got hurt! 

I hope you mend fast!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

If it's anything like my husband's shoulder fracture, at least 2 months.  Be sure to be faithful to your physical therapy exercises, they build back strength and mobility.

Esteemed Contributor

Never have but just wanted to wish you a successful surgery and quick & pain free healing so you can get back to doing the things you need & want to do.

You don't say whether or not you were in too much discomfort to stay and see your granddaughter's graduation or had to leave and head for the ER....I hope the former.

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Thank you so much.😊

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes     can not answer your question... but just want to say how sorry I am that you are suffering so. I too have tripped and fallen out on my walks with the uneven sidewalks.... twice! Bruised and embarressed... thankfully no broken bones... I walk very carefully now and are more mindful of the sidewalks... I pray you heal quickly... and am sure the ladies here can give you some good tips to how to deal with the healing period. 

Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear about your fall. They happen so fast!  Hope you heal quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

Ouch! So sorry. Praying for a speedy recovery. 

Trusted Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Never have but just wanted to wish you a successful surgery and quick & pain free healing so you can get back to doing the things you need & want to do.

You don't say whether or not you were in too much discomfort to stay and see your granddaughter's graduation or had to leave and head for the ER....I hope the former.

Thank you @shaggygirl I didn't want anything to disrupt her special day, so I just powered through the pain and watched our sweet girl graduate. I didn't want her graduation memory to be that her grandma broker her arm. I didn't even tell her until the next day.

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

Thank you @shaggygirl I didn't want anything to disrupt her special day, so I just powered through the pain and watched our sweet girl graduate. I didn't want her graduation memory to be that her grandma broker her arm. I didn't even tell her until the next day.

@grandma petes 

What a sweet & thoughtful & unselfish grandma you are Woman Very Happy