Respected Contributor

My son and daughter both work from home 3 days a week. At first it was kinda fun to sit at your computer in pj's. But I think they are both feeling isolated from socialization of the work environment. I see lack of physical activity like just walking to the break room, walking to lunch, walking to the parking lot............

I can understand the appeal of work from home for those who commute long distances with time and cost of gas. I'm sure its nice to be at home with infants or toddlers. There is a trade off. 

I can relate to how we felt with the covid isolation. What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Work from home downside?

I had a part time job that I did from home.  I hated it.  Missed getting up and out, being with other people, change of scenery, etc.  As mentioned, unless a long commute is involved, working from home is overrated.

Respected Contributor

I am an introvert. Being around others is a tiring distraction. Working from home would be ideal for me. I cannot grasp the concept since it is so opposite for me, but extroverts thrive in the company of others and do not enjoy isolation. It would be nice if companies could give workers options.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have worked from home Full time since 2019 (Pre-COVID).

I do agree there is isolation working from home.  The lack of movement is what bothers me the most and I have to force myself to move and walk around the house every hour.

I have learned to set my work hours so I am not working late in the evening.  Its so easy for many to not stop working because the office is at home.

Working from home makes it easier to make appointments.  I was able to go to the dentist today and get my mammogram yesterday without it impacting my entire work day.  

I also don't work in my PJs.  It may seem appealing at first but I felt that it didn't put you in the work mindset.  Actually keeping a morning routine which involves getting dressed - even if your work clothes are now yoga pants and a sweatshirt helps keep you in the work mindset and routine. 

I would never recommend someone work from home to be with their toddlers and infants.  In fact anyone I see using that as a reason to work from home I discourage.  Toddlers and infants are very demanding.  You are being paid by an employer to work.  Depending on your job you just can't have the noise of kids in the background.

What I don't miss about the office is the 3 hours of driving every day.  Its too exhausting and now I don't have to worry about not being home in time to get a kid somewhere or pick them up ontime. Don't miss freezing in an office during the summer.  Don't miss driving in snow or pouring down rain.   

Respected Contributor

DD works from home 2 days a week. For her it's a nice balance. Getting showered, dressed, makeup on and getting out is good for her.  She likes the social aspect (going to lunch etc) of being in the office.

She interviewed for a 100% work from home job and was not interested in that option 

Respected Contributor

Many years ago, it occurred to me that more people working from home would be a good thing for traffic congestion, stress, family time, gas expenses, etc. I also saw the downside of how local lunch places (one example) would be impacted but a happy medium seemed doable. Some face to face interaction is healthy and positive so each person should be afforded the chance to figure out what is a good balance for them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would hate working from home.  Putting on my clothes, getting ready for the day, going in and getting to work on what needs to be done, I would miss that terribly and frankly having a hard time getting things done not dressed and "armed" for the day.

I don't see how anyone could get much work done at home with kids.  

Respected Contributor

I've worked from home since the beginning of the pandemic, when they sent us all home.  The positives for me are--I can sleep an hour longer and be at work at the same time because I'm not sitting in traffic for almost an hour both ways.  I don't have to wear 'hard' clothes--in the winter, it's leggings and in the summer--shorts.

THe cons:  I used to have a gym membership at a place 6 blocks from my office and I used it daily.  I have a PF membership, but don't use it all that often.  I sit too long and then am stiff when I decide to get up.  I've lost a lot of my fitness level because I actually work more when remote.  Starting this week, that will change--I am using the Just fit app, plus making sure I make use of my streaming workout through LaBlast.  This is probablly the biggest negative--that I sit a lot more than I do when I'm in the office.  Also--I don't have easy access to a copy machine.

Honored Contributor

I never would have been able to do it.  Too many distactions in the house that would be calling my name.

Trusted Contributor

As somone who worked 5 days a week in an office for decades and then went to 1 and then 2 days from home and then to 5 days at home since Covid, I think there are positives and negatives about each situation.

I think if you're starting out in your career or at a new job, it's very important to be in the office at least half of the week.  It also depends a lot on how much interaction your job requires you to have with your coworkers.

In my situation, I don't think I could ever go back to having to be in the office on a regular basis.  I used to commute about 4 hours a day and I hated it.  I got used to it but now that I'm used to being home, there's no way I'd give up that many hours of my personal time again.  I already have great relationships with my coworkers and while I miss some of them, I don't have a need to see them in person.

I agree with @mimomof4 that that the lack of movement can be an issue.  I used to have to do a lot of walking and going up and down stairs during the day and now if I'm not careful, I'm sitting for hours straight without moving anything except my fingers on the keyboard.  I'm also lucky that I don't have any distractions during the day except my dog.  I could never do it with young kids at home.  I also wouldn't have wanted to do it when I was young and trying to get established in my career.