Super Contributor

Difference between being laid off vs fired

I copied this definition from the web:

A severance package is the final pay and benefits that an employer may give to an employee at the end of their tenure with a company. While a laid-off employee is more likely to get severance vs. an employee who has been terminated, the severance options vary by employer.

Sometimes the severance package offer is based on a formula, i.e. age and the number of years the employee has worked for the employer to qualify for a severance pkg.  Keep in mind that people can volunteer for a severance pkg as long as they meet the qualications the company has offered.

if Carolyn and Dan are so thoughtful of their fans maybe they can (if not already) put a clear explanation on their FB if they were fired (we don't need to know why) or laid off.  l liked both Dan and Carolyn (not the squirrel) and both were experienced Sales people.

AGAIN  SALES PEOPLE!  No need to respond to my comments as I am almost sure I won't like them.  BTW I have been purchasing from QVC for over 35 years.

Honored Contributor

Re: Difference between being laid off vs fired

One of the conditions of some of those packages is that the info is not disclosed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Its pretty obvious the retained employees as well as those who left have been told not to discuss any aspect of the layoff. 

No corporation wants it policies and procedures floating around the community... or further.  Most don't even want it known publicly that they had a layoff.  There has not been a, word out of any body's mouth. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My company has provided severance packages for terminated employees, depending on the circumstances.  Both situations have a disclosure agreement in the packet.

Respected Contributor

So what difference does it make to you and what effect does this have on your life?

Valued Contributor

@Reilley 

Thank you for posting the info. It may help some posters to understand the definition.

Trusted Contributor

I don't understand why people can't let it go. Dan and Carolyn have posted updates and photos and they seemed to have started moving forward. Beating the dead horse isn't going to bring it back to life.

Honored Contributor

Oh good grief, obviously they weren't fired.  Lol.   They were layed off due to a reduction in force and their severance package is their business and no one else's.  Carolyn and Dan have moved on, you should too.

Honored Contributor

IMO it’s inappropriate to expect someone to publicly disclose any of this information, even if there is not a non-disclosure agreement (which there likely is). NOT our business. 😉
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree I agree with you...move on is the perfect response but again we had someone asking where they are..I thought writing the definition would be helpful.  So many people keep asking about them and probably continue to do so.  I promise I won't write another word on the subject.. just kick me in the you know what if I do it🤐