Respected Contributor

🙂Why the push to use Apps?🙂

I notice the Q and other companies

and even tv shows or networks keep

pushing us to use their Apps, why is that? 

I wonder what benefit do they get?

🤔 🙂

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Re: 🙂Why the push to use Apps?🙂

Immediate access to their sites.  Some you have to pay a fee for them.  Keep you attached and updated on new items, new news, current weather, gossip, whatever your interests are. 

Don't use any, but my DD does.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

For the Q it is easy--they do not have to pay someone to answer the phone to take your order, you just do it yourself. 

they only have to pay a relatively small IT team to keep the app and website up and running vs hundreds of order taking phone operators. 

Esteemed Contributor

Everyone is using apps....it streamlines transactions.... I just used the mobile passport app. Reentering the USA, no line, no customs form, went straight through to the customs officer with my tablet and passport....done! 

Honored Contributor

Interesting exerpt from article:

Benefits of a mobile app

Although a mobile app functions a lot like a mobile website, a mobile app gives businesses the advantage of having their own corner on a customer's device. Because users have to download and install the app, businesses have more control over their presence on a device than they would with a mobile website. For instance, a mobile app can be closed or inactive, but still work in the background to send geo-targeted push notifications and gather data about customer's preferences and behaviors. Moreover, mobile apps make it easy to deploy loyalty programs and use mobile payments using a single platform. It's also much easier to access a mobile app than a mobile website — all it takes is one tap, versus having to open a Web browser then type in a URL.

- See more at: http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/6783-mobile-website-vs-mobile-app.html#sthash.Un8SPl3V.dpuf

Esteemed Contributor

The Q app is awful, as is the HSN app. Why use an app with limited info when you can go to the website? I do use apps for some things, like weather or golf, because they are complete. Ever try to find the size chart on the Q app? Not there. Unless they've changed, it's been a while that I even looked at their app.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

It's just the 'thing' now.   Since i have no interest, I just find it mildly annoying.  But others find it useful so who am I to say.  Smiley Happy    I try to just ignore it.

The only time stuff like that really grates on my nerves is when you just go to a site to pay a bill or buy something, or whatever (!), and the page is greyed out and covered with one of these solicitations.  Before I 'x' it out, I might say a few words and then get back to what I was trying to do in the first place.  I tend to move quickly, so stuff like that does annoy me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great points!

Now it makes sense.

@sidsmom very interesting about the locations,

I keep them turned OFF on my iPhone and

iPad.

thanks @Preds @sidsmom @chickenbutt @MaggieMack @Tantallum 

@Stray!

👍👍👍

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

Everyone is using apps....it streamlines transactions.... I just used the mobile passport app. Reentering the USA, no line, no customs form, went straight through to the customs officer with my tablet and passport....done! 

SCARY!

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Stray wrote:

SCARY!

I know.  I thought the same thing.