Super Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

Most men(not all) are selfish(varying degrees) and single minded and get mad when they don't get their way.   How many times do you hear them killing or hurting their exes.  If their feelings are hurt they are going to make someone pay because they their are always the victims.  They never do anything wrong to cause their misery.  Woe is me.  I know that there are mostly good men out there I just have not had the good fortune to be involved with many of them. 

Thanks for proving my point.

Let the male-bashing begin.

Or, in this case, continue.

"Most men are selfish?"

You've got to be kidding.

What if someone said,

"Most women are selfish," the outcry would shatter one's eardrums.

ONE post out of SEVENTY...clearly not a strong arguement for this "rampant man-bashing" you seem to think occurs. Clearly this poster has had some bad experiences with the men in her life, and her perception of men has been altered. Try having some compassion.

Esteemed Contributor

@peace6576  I'm referring to the totality of posts I've read on this forum - not just this particular thread.

You have no way of knowing what caused her attitude. Compassion for what? 

Some women just hate men.

If a man said the same thing about women - that most of them were selfish - would you assume some woman had mistreated him and advocate "having some compassion" then?

I doubt it.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@peace6576  I'm referring to the totality of posts I've read on this forum - not just this particular thread.

You have no way of knowing what caused her attitude. Compassion for what? 

Some women just hate men.

If a man said the same thing about women - that most of them were selfish - would you assume some woman had mistreated him and advocate "having some compassion" then?

I doubt it.

I don't know any women who hate men. Just the opposite.

Respected Contributor

Problem solving is a skill that a lot of people have difficulty with.  Men who don't know how may hope something magical or a windfall will somehow relieve them of whatever stressors they struggle with.  When they feel they've hit the proverbial wall, they act out destructively.  Women are usually more passive or manipulative to find their way out of difficult situations.  Some of their problem solving comes almost built-in as in finding someone to take care of them.  Men can't do this easily though many try.

It's complicated but I  believe it does start from a young age, learning how to sort out what steps to take in various situations and mostly, how to avoid problems in the first place.  If  mom and dad don't know, the kids are on their own unless a mentor sets good examples. 

It can be dangerous to add to someone's difficulties with condescension, being rude, or any such descructive attitude.  Blaming is the national pasttime and isn't a good problem solving technique.  Individually, we have more power than we realize.  Seems there is a lot of power wasted on dragging down because of powerless thoughts,  Men are more likely to force a solution.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Maybe men are treated more poorly?  Have more stress?  More problems?  Feel more helpless?  Feel more responsibility?

Who knows?  But it makes you feel like maybe men are under stresses that are not recognized enough by society.  

All we have to do is look at history and society for the last hundred years or so to know that men are not treated more poorly than women.  I don't even know where to begin with this one...

I know where to begin.

Traditionally in western society, men were the ones given the responsibility of leading, providing, building and shouldering the bulk of the tough physical, financial, governing, and providing for both their families and society in general.

As times changed, and women became to be recognized as being just as strong and capable in all these things, men have become caught between a rock and a hard place, as to just what their role is or should be.

Much of the power and respect they once held in all areas of life was not only to now be shared (which honestly isn't all that easy to do for people of either gender), but in the balancing, men were made to look like fools, buffoons, idiots, raging maniacs, sexist, and emasculated. Just look at how men are portrayed on television in many of today's shows, or in many high grossing movies. 

Men receive mixed messages from society today. Women want to be sexy, but men aren't supposed to notice or enjoy it. Do women want to be treated like a lady (open doors, man pay for the date etc.) , or will that be a source of ire?

Traditional roles are seen as old fashioned and even wrong in some circles, and people of both genders are made to feel bad if they believe in them or enjoy living within them (man providing for the family, mom staying home with the kids), or if they enjoy living the opposite (stay at home dads and mom's bringing home the bacon), they will face criticizim as well. It just seems that while we should be at a place where people should be and do what they want, and it be acceptable, there is even more conflict between groups advocating that their views are right, and the other is wrong.

Does any of this lead to shooting people or being violent? It shouldn't but I think it can and does. I agree with @Sooner, I think many men face much more stress in today's society than women want to admit, as they are too busy trying to convince themselves and others that they are the oppressed and stressed ones. Let's face it, there is more than enough stress in today's life to go around for everyone, and most people are feeling it. Women just seem to have more outlets that are viewed (counseling, support groups, etc.) as acceptable ways to them (the women) to cope, deal, share. Men don't have the same thing, or don't feel comfortable using/pursuing them in the same way women do.  

I think this is an excellent and accurate view of today's conflicts.  I'd hate to be a man in today's world.  You don't much get a break anywhere.  That's why I think the hard feelings between many groups of people will exist and even escalate until PEOPLE are revered as individuals and we stop the gender, race, and other biases that exist.   So far we're just making it worse.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Maybe men are treated more poorly?  Have more stress?  More problems?  Feel more helpless?  Feel more responsibility?

Who knows?  But it makes you feel like maybe men are under stresses that are not recognized enough by society.  

All we have to do is look at history and society for the last hundred years or so to know that men are not treated more poorly than women.  I don't even know where to begin with this one...

I know where to begin.

Traditionally in western society, men were the ones given the responsibility of leading, providing, building and shouldering the bulk of the tough physical, financial, governing, and providing for both their families and society in general.

As times changed, and women became to be recognized as being just as strong and capable in all these things, men have become caught between a rock and a hard place, as to just what their role is or should be.

Much of the power and respect they once held in all areas of life was not only to now be shared (which honestly isn't all that easy to do for people of either gender), but in the balancing, men were made to look like fools, buffoons, idiots, raging maniacs, sexist, and emasculated. Just look at how men are portrayed on television in many of today's shows, or in many high grossing movies. 

Men receive mixed messages from society today. Women want to be sexy, but men aren't supposed to notice or enjoy it. Do women want to be treated like a lady (open doors, man pay for the date etc.) , or will that be a source of ire?

Traditional roles are seen as old fashioned and even wrong in some circles, and people of both genders are made to feel bad if they believe in them or enjoy living within them (man providing for the family, mom staying home with the kids), or if they enjoy living the opposite (stay at home dads and mom's bringing home the bacon), they will face criticizim as well. It just seems that while we should be at a place where people should be and do what they want, and it be acceptable, there is even more conflict between groups advocating that their views are right, and the other is wrong.

Does any of this lead to shooting people or being violent? It shouldn't but I think it can and does. I agree with @Sooner, I think many men face much more stress in today's society than women want to admit, as they are too busy trying to convince themselves and others that they are the oppressed and stressed ones. Let's face it, there is more than enough stress in today's life to go around for everyone, and most people are feeling it. Women just seem to have more outlets that are viewed (counseling, support groups, etc.) as acceptable ways to them (the women) to cope, deal, share. Men don't have the same thing, or don't feel comfortable using/pursuing them in the same way women do.  

I think this is an excellent and accurate view of today's conflicts.  I'd hate to be a man in today's world.  You don't much get a break anywhere.  That's why I think the hard feelings between many groups of people will exist and even escalate until PEOPLE are revered as individuals and we stop the gender, race, and other biases that exist.   So far we're just making it worse.

@Sooner

100% right and thanks for finishing my thoughts!

The powers that be want us at each other's throats, and so many in society today buy into it. We (as a society) fail to see that we have so much more in common than we have differences, and it spans the gender, race, religion, economic, sexual orientation, political spectrums. 

We have all traditionally gotten along much better than is portrayed in the media. Problems, yes, but are made worse/expanded by media (including entertainment industry).

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

Most men(not all) are selfish(varying degrees) and single minded and get mad when they don't get their way.   How many times do you hear them killing or hurting their exes.  If their feelings are hurt they are going to make someone pay because they their are always the victims.  They never do anything wrong to cause their misery.  Woe is me.  I know that there are mostly good men out there I just have not had the good fortune to be involved with many of them. 

What? MOST MEN? In one paragraph you say most men are selfish and single minded and then you say there are mostly good men out there? I definitely think people either subconsciously or consciously put out there what they will accept from other people and relationships in general. I have had the good fortune to find good men because I don't accept selfish abusive men. Once they show themselves to be that, they are gone. I think people need to have some accountability and you can choose to accept that or you can realize you are worth more than that.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

There is a great bias against men in this country.  Just read these boards to see how people feel about "men."  There are lots of wonderful men in my life.  I hate to see them all lumped together with the few bad eggs.

And a lot of women who certainly aren't mistreated because they are women.

People are people.  They shouldn' t  be stigmatized because of race, gender, religion, or political party.  Each of us should be taken for the person we are. 

@Sooner

Men have almost always been the leaders until very recent history, not women.  Rape was overlooked as a crime for almost all of history, and women were legal property of men, their fathers and later their husbands.

I have never seen a woman here who hates men.  Never.  The facts don't lie, most violent crimes are committed by men, that has nothing to do with the ability of women to love their fathers, brothers, sons and male friends.  Nothing.

No one is lumping the men you love or I love in with men who are criminals or out of control.

I agree @Noel7.

Men control business, the government, law enforcement and the judiciary. Women asking for equal standing are not exhibiting anti man bias despite some alternative sources that enjoy floating that opinion.

There is no man-hating behavior on these boards. There are a lot of women who do not accept they are subservient or dependant on a man. This is not man hating behavior.

Males do tend to exhibit more violent behavior than women. It is biology. 

Not so fast. There's a great deal of contempt, which is an expression of hatred, in postings I see about men. The problem is that it's so accepted in this environment that it's not seen for what it is. The attitudes commonly displayed toward spouses are often impatience and its further expression, intolerance. If the genders were reversed and men were casting such aspersions upon their "dear" spouses on a public board, they'd be called out no end. But because women are doing it about men, somehow that's okay. It's not, and IMO, it's bigotry. Bigotry is hatred in practice, as is intolerance, IMO. So all is not well here.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

There is a great bias against men in this country.  Just read these boards to see how people feel about "men."  There are lots of wonderful men in my life.  I hate to see them all lumped together with the few bad eggs.

And a lot of women who certainly aren't mistreated because they are women.

People are people.  They shouldn' t  be stigmatized because of race, gender, religion, or political party.  Each of us should be taken for the person we are. 

@Sooner

Men have almost always been the leaders until very recent history, not women.  Rape was overlooked as a crime for almost all of history, and women were legal property of men, their fathers and later their husbands.

I have never seen a woman here who hates men.  Never.  The facts don't lie, most violent crimes are committed by men, that has nothing to do with the ability of women to love their fathers, brothers, sons and male friends.  Nothing.

No one is lumping the men you love or I love in with men who are criminals or out of control.

I agree @Noel7.

Men control business, the government, law enforcement and the judiciary. Women asking for equal standing are not exhibiting anti man bias despite some alternative sources that enjoy floating that opinion.

There is no man-hating behavior on these boards. There are a lot of women who do not accept they are subservient or dependant on a man. This is not man hating behavior.

Males do tend to exhibit more violent behavior than women. It is biology. 

Not so fast. There's a great deal of contempt, which is an expression of hatred, in postings I see about men. The problem is that it's so accepted in this environment that it's not seen for what it is. The attitudes commonly displayed toward spouses are often impatience and its further expression, intolerance. If the genders were reversed and men were casting such aspersions upon their "dear" spouses on a public board, they'd be called out no end. But because women are doing it about men, somehow that's okay. It's not, and IMO, it's bigotry. Bigotry is hatred in practice, as is intolerance, IMO. So all is not well here.

We'll just have to disagree.

I see far, far more women bashing women in these forums.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why is it always men?

[ Edited ]

Testosterone.  Makes the male aggressive and reactive. That is why there is so much war and killing. Yes, women can fight in a war too, but women for the most part are not drawn to fighting and killing IN GENERAL.