Honored Contributor

I know many men who are loving and gentle and would never do mass murder.  I was merely making an observation that almost all mass murders are committed by men.  In no way do I hate men.

And I definitely know evil women who use sneakier, less bombastic ways of hurting people.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Why is it always men?

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

There's an interesting article here from Psychology Today:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/experiments-in-philosophy/201202/why-are-men-so-violent

My question is why are we seeing an uptick in violent crimes lately?  The news last night had a scary special on road rage with suggestions on how to handle it: don't lower your window and don't make eye contact, do not engage.

@Noel7

True.  The middle finger can readily be followed by a bullet through one's head.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Just thinking, more men in the military, more men in physical competitions, I don't know, maybe it's part of some of their (not John, not all)  makeup.  Sometimes, pressures of their lives are just too much, but that applies to women too. I guess then, it's anyone's guess.

Honored Contributor

Maybe in most states, more men purchase (or whatever) and carry g*ns than women?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree Yes there are definitely some women like that. Sneaky and stealth and cutting with words and deeds. Perhaps more dangerous than a gun in some cases.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

There has been a slight uptick in violent crime but mainly in big cities (and mostly attributed to gangs) over the past year and a half. It is still nothing compared to 1980s and early 90s numbers. They don't know if it is just a blip because criminologists usually look at data from at least 3-5 yrs to show true trends. 

@Irshgrl31201

In some areas crime has gone down.  Gee, I haven't even heard of gang violence in CA for a long time.

I was thinking specifically of hate crimes which have gone up and are alarming.  And crimes against young girls, the 17 year old girl who was beaten to death with a bat recently and thought to be the result of road rage, and the numerous reports lately of men killing their children because of problems with their wives.

@Noel7here is an article from late 2016 regarding gang violence in LA.

Violent crime in L.A. jumps for third straight year as police deal with gang, homeless issues

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-crime-stats-20161227-story.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

violent crimes in baltimore are up 19% over this time last year......what a horrible statistic to have to hear about and read. it is on our news every night.....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-may-homicides-20170601-story.html

the mayor has recently asked for help from the federal government. she wants to increase the FBI presence here in baltimore. we are waiting to hear if the request will be granted/funded.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

This sounds like a simple answer...its the way they are raised,or not as children.I would suppose the ststisics would show,that a large number of crimes are committed by men raised without fathers.And even raised with two parents,not taught to show respect to others!This is my opinion and each of us is entitled to one.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

Most men(not all) are selfish(varying degrees) and single minded and get mad when they don't get their way.   How many times do you hear them killing or hurting their exes.  If their feelings are hurt they are going to make someone pay because they their are always the victims.  They never do anything wrong to cause their misery.  Woe is me.  I know that there are mostly good men out there I just have not had the good fortune to be involved with many of them. 

Thanks for proving my point.

Let the male-bashing begin.

Or, in this case, continue.

"Most men are selfish?"

You've got to be kidding.

What if someone said,

"Most women are selfish," the outcry would shatter one's eardrums.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Maybe men are treated more poorly?  Have more stress?  More problems?  Feel more helpless?  Feel more responsibility?

Who knows?  But it makes you feel like maybe men are under stresses that are not recognized enough by society.  

All we have to do is look at history and society for the last hundred years or so to know that men are not treated more poorly than women.  I don't even know where to begin with this one...

I know where to begin.

Traditionally in western society, men were the ones given the responsibility of leading, providing, building and shouldering the bulk of the tough physical, financial, governing, and providing for both their families and society in general.

As times changed, and women became to be recognized as being just as strong and capable in all these things, men have become caught between a rock and a hard place, as to just what their role is or should be.

Much of the power and respect they once held in all areas of life was not only to now be shared (which honestly isn't all that easy to do for people of either gender), but in the balancing, men were made to look like fools, buffoons, idiots, raging maniacs, sexist, and emasculated. Just look at how men are portrayed on television in many of today's shows, or in many high grossing movies. 

Men receive mixed messages from society today. Women want to be sexy, but men aren't supposed to notice or enjoy it. Do women want to be treated like a lady (open doors, man pay for the date etc.) , or will that be a source of ire?

Traditional roles are seen as old fashioned and even wrong in some circles, and people of both genders are made to feel bad if they believe in them or enjoy living within them (man providing for the family, mom staying home with the kids), or if they enjoy living the opposite (stay at home dads and mom's bringing home the bacon), they will face criticizim as well. It just seems that while we should be at a place where people should be and do what they want, and it be acceptable, there is even more conflict between groups advocating that their views are right, and the other is wrong.

Does any of this lead to shooting people or being violent? It shouldn't but I think it can and does. I agree with @Sooner, I think many men face much more stress in today's society than women want to admit, as they are too busy trying to convince themselves and others that they are the oppressed and stressed ones. Let's face it, there is more than enough stress in today's life to go around for everyone, and most people are feeling it. Women just seem to have more outlets that are viewed (counseling, support groups, etc.) as acceptable ways to them (the women) to cope, deal, share. Men don't have the same thing, or don't feel comfortable using/pursuing them in the same way women do.