Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 923
Registered: ‎02-10-2013

Why are so many old threads becoming recent?

This weekend I responded to a thread about SSC, and like a fool I had no idea the post was from last year.  Yes, the thread was relative because SSC was on HSN this weekend so I just assumed it was new.  Today, I went into the Fashion category, where of course someone was going after SG clothes, but the original post was from last summer.  What is that all about?  Why do people feel the need to resurrect a very old post??  I would imagine people have to make an effort to seach for such topics in order to bring them back to the front of the list.  Is that what trolling is, because I honestly don't know.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 816
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Why are so many old threads becoming recent?

well when you begin a new thread, possible topics come up, and i fyou click onthem it takes you to that thread. I suppose people post to those threads feeling like if the topic has been addressed they should just continue on with it without noticing the date. It's no biggie really. I figure if it is still relevant who cares how old it is. 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 816
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Why are so many old threads becoming recent?

No, that's not trolling. Trolling is when people bring up sensitive topics or make controversial statements JUST to start drama. Like - that is their entire goal is to start a fight or argument online. 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,184
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Why are so many old threads becoming recent?

I noticed this too.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,153
Registered: ‎05-22-2012

Re: Why are so many old threads becoming recent?


@ctinaw wrote:

No, that's not trolling. Trolling is when people bring up sensitive topics or make controversial statements JUST to start drama. Like - that is their entire goal is to start a fight or argument online. 


 

It's also trolling when people intentionally go digging into very old posts and replying to many of them at a time, bringing them all up to the top of a web forum. Many forums will close accounts and ban people for that because it makes getting to new content more difficult, causes confusion, and can bring old and outdated information to the top, causing further confusion. It's often referred to as thread necromancy.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 699
Registered: ‎02-16-2011

Re: Why are so many old threads becoming recent?

LOL, there is another post on the beauty board right now with one poster demanding to know why the OP didn't just reply to an old thread instead of starting a new one!!

 

darned if you do, darned if you don't...

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,403
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Why are so many old threads becoming recent?


@ajsidney12 wrote:

This weekend I responded to a thread about SSC, and like a fool I had no idea the post was from last year.  Yes, the thread was relative because SSC was on HSN this weekend so I just assumed it was new.  Today, I went into the Fashion category, where of course someone was going after SG clothes, but the original post was from last summer.  What is that all about?  Why do people feel the need to resurrect a very old post??  I would imagine people have to make an effort to seach for such topics in order to bring them back to the front of the list.  Is that what trolling is, because I honestly don't know.


I think it's the Ghost of Forums Past!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,580
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Why are so many old threads becoming recent?

@ajsidney12 at least the thread you posted on was only from last year. I've seen threads brought back to the top that are from 2013.  Why they are still around is a mystery. 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 816
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Why are so many old threads becoming recent?


@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@ctinaw wrote:

No, that's not trolling. Trolling is when people bring up sensitive topics or make controversial statements JUST to start drama. Like - that is their entire goal is to start a fight or argument online. 


 

It's also trolling when people intentionally go digging into very old posts and replying to many of them at a time, bringing them all up to the top of a web forum. Many forums will close accounts and ban people for that because it makes getting to new content more difficult, causes confusion, and can bring old and outdated information to the top, causing further confusion. It's often referred to as thread necromancy.


I would not consider that trolling. Annoying perhaps. But it's not always intentional. It has to be intentional to be trolling. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,952
Registered: ‎07-28-2012

Re: Why are so many old threads becoming recent?

I wish the date/time stamp was right under the thread title like it was before the changeover to the new board. That way you could at least tell without opening it, if it is a new thread or an old one dredged up from the past.
"To each their own, in all things".