Honored Contributor

Re: Why are posts being removed that do not have anything offensive in them?

vickiv wrote: "I would hate to have the job as a MOD. They get beat up every day. One good thing no black eyes or bruises. They are trying to do their job the best they can. It's there judgement what is good and what is bad,"

I know this will fall on deaf ears where it should be heard, but deliberate ridicule and taunting of the moderators, baiting them, questioning their intelligence and education, referring to them as "webbie",etc. is ultimately a bad decision. These are the people who control not only what is allowed to remain and what is removed, but ultimately they or their supervisors decide who stays and who doesn't. And for all the protestations of not caring if one is banned, seriously, where would the antagonizers spend their time if they could no longer amuse themselves at our and QVC's expense?
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kdgn wrote:

The moderators are doing just what posters have wanted them to do for a long time: they are paying attention. They are explaining, they are letting posters know that a thread is heading into an area that is against the standards.

As for a thread being reposted after it's been deleted, haven't posters warned against that before? Reposting a thread was supposed to be against the old standards, it just wasn't usually enforced. Now it is.

One thing I really appreciate now...just posting the "banned words" - pols, religion, TV  or radio talk hosts - won't derail the entire thread now and it used to.

Now the POST is taken down, and the reason is listed very clearly. If the OP continues - it is again taken down and the person is told not to repeat banned material.

Before when people disagreed with a topic...they would just report EVERY line in a thread...and post the banned words...and watch everything go Poof.

This new technique is MUCH fairer, IMO.

Plus, if you have a beef and go to report, you have to state your reason WHY the poster's opinion should be deleted.

Is it just me, or have others noticed that there are FAR FEWER personal attacks now?

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:
Biancardi, you just explained it perfectly!

It has been suggested to the moderators that at least a couple of "gaming the system" types of posters are now working in earnest on these forums. Themmods have already worked out the Hearts thing and have taken care of that. Now they need to come up with permanent banning strategies for calculated, deliberate and continued forum disruption.

I'm glad you're still here, and hope you enjoy your vacation.

They had one in place and apparently reversed it.

Valued Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@surfk wrote:

I agree completely as well.

My non-religious, non-political general question about social etiquette and terminology was almost immediately deleted without explanation today.

When I then posted a second thread asking why such a thing was deleted...and without explanation, THAT POST TOO was immediately deleted without explanation. lol

FYI surfk - ALL comments - both pro AND con are closed for commenting on that subject. The moderators allowed comments for about a day or so and that was it. 

There were negative opinions on that thread - just not personal or religious attacks.

I appreciate that. But that must be a different thread or comment to which you're referring.

The one I am talking about was a new thread posted by me just yesterday. Within only minutes of typing it and its posting, it was suddenly gone - without a trace. 

So I don't know what sort of feedback, replies or comments could have occurred in such a relative nano-second of time as it appeared in the forums.

I then minutes later posted another thread asking WHY (since I had no info on a mod or reason to go on otherwise) and that, too, within like 5 minutes VANISHED.

(If I didn't know better I'd swear there had been an episode of "The Twilight Zone" called "INTO THE Q BLACK HOLE").

And I still don't know WHO all the mods are. Is there a list of them all?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@surfk wrote:

Thanks for that info. But that info never appeared on the forums board. I made the post and only minutes later it was completely gone. Nothing was listed or shown on either the public boards or in my list of my posts.

And as you can see, that was the follow up inquiry post I made - after the first posting had also just suddenly disappeared without a trace a few minutes after I had posted that. There, too, was no mention on the forums boards or in my posted comments - or anywhere.

Where it shows up though is under the MOD'S personal comments made list? It POOFS off of the original poster's lists and the forums' board but appears as a post under a moderator's name (as a post deleting it)?

Very odd system.

And again, it doesn't explain the first post either.

And HOW would anyone know who the MOD was on duty when all evidence of the original post/s disappear? I had no mod name to attach the POOF deletions to - to even then look under their name.

How did YOU know what mod it was in order to even look under her listed posts?

[Remainder deleted here for ease of reading]

@surfkI found the post from the moderator simply by looking at the forum posts. It was there. I also found the explanation about the thread you had up for a few minutes (Someone here has already posted it for you). Both were in the forum posts, so there was no need to look up a particular mod or mods.

Someone else explained that there is a lag time between when a thread is deleted and the explanation for its removal. 

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Valued Contributor

@Adelina wrote:

@surfkI found the post from the moderator simply by looking at the forum posts. It was there. I also found the explanation about the thread you had up for a few minutes (Someone here has already posted it for you). Both were in the forum posts, so there was no need to look up a particular mod or mods.

Someone else explained that there is a lag time between when a thread is deleted and the explanation for its removal. 

I again appreciate the info. But it was not there - listed anywhere at the time. And I went lookin'...

If it appeared later or now, that is something else. But I reviewed the posts which came along within that same moment-in-time, and I tell ya, it did not appear in pages of new forum posts (even though it had only been posted minutes prior).

Also, one doesn't have it listed under one's own posts made list (under a user's profile). I think that all posts out to show up there which a user has made - whether they stand or were "Moved" and/or otherwise deleted. That, too, would show a user's entire history - good and bad.

And I haven't really had any of my previous posts deleted (other than one or two or when a whole thread is deleted).

So if they appear on a user's profile's list of all comments he or she has made, one can keep track. And OTHERS who might go into your posting profile can see EXACTLY what ratio of posts you make are perhaps deleted. It would be revealing.

As of now, you can look up the WORST offenders and their deleted items don't show up. Only those that remain standing are listed. That can lead to a FALSE profile or sense of what sort of a poster they are.

If you KNOW they have 50 posts of theirs deleted every week but in their profile it only shows the ones NOT deleted, you'd think the person just posted four comments in his/her life and all of them about how wonderful Santa Claus is.

Something needs to be worked out in order to create a clearer, more meaningful list of comments made. Otherwise the profiles are sort of useless and an inaccurate picture of what the user is actually all about.

Honored Contributor

surkf -

It takes five minutes or so for the reason the post was deleted to appear.

Trusted Contributor

Well, apparently anything "disparaging" about the formerly escaped con in upstate NY is offensive, too. I guess we are in the soviet republic now.

Respected Contributor

@d_to_the_third wrote:

Well, apparently anything "disparaging" about the formerly escaped con in upstate NY is offensive, too. I guess we are in the soviet republic now.

I see a post by you that states you want him to rot in h***.   Did you post something else?

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Valued Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

surkf -

It takes five minutes or so for the reason the post was deleted to appear.

Well, that demonstates just how fast everything went. I mean, if my original post appeared for even 2 minutes, I'd be amazed.

They're deleting 'em as quick as they come in!!!!

Too bad none of the mods were at the Alamo...when we really needed them, lol