Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why So Many Masks On Sale?

I'm not buying any new masks. I don't see the need to wear a mask when outside alone or driving a car. You only need to wear one is you can't social distant or in a group. Also, if places require them. Otherwise, why wear one if you're alone? That makes no sense. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@happycat 

I don’t go anywhere I don’t have to either. I’ve become the posterchild for grocery pickup! Lol

I don’t expect to ever go to a movie theater again or out to a restaurant for a nice meal.

We aren’t doing anything to actually get rid of the virus so it puzzles me that people seem to think it is going away and masks can be tossed soon. I have no intention of stopping any safety measures because I don’t want to get COVID (or anything else!) even though it is predicted I would have a mild case.

People are hearing what they want to hear and that is not a good thing. 

ITA with everything you wrote. 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

Unfortunately,  in my opinion those making decisions for us all are going to have us wear masks for yrs .Now you have to wear them driving your car on intersates  and outside .  The vaccine is not going to change any of this  because we can't put  the  virus problem in a jar  and put a lid on it becuse  there are some who refuse the  vaccine and the constant influx of new people in our country unvaccinated.  There's the issue with other strains .  Since we all must wear the masks , retailers are  now making new styles  in varied fabric designs .  Is it becoming fashionable to  have one to match all our outfits like some notable people do ?

@skatting44  Wear a mask while driving? Not around here. We don't wear them walking around town either unless you come upon a crowd of people. As soon as you sit at your table in the restaurant they come off. 

Visit Maryland and you'll see plenty of people driving around with masks on . There are newly enacted  executive order  requirements. It is expected to also include 2 masks  soon.

www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/cdc-masks-requirement-public-transportation

www.aarp.org/travel/travel-tips/safety/info-2021/mask-mandate.html

@skatting44, nothing in your link indicates that people must wear masks while in a car, nor does it say that masks are required on the interstate highways as you mentioned before.

Some people prefer to wear their mask while driving if they have to make several stops. They may also protect the driver from passengers in the car and vice versa.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Saw on news, people gathering for super bowl ,in bars restaurants ignoring mask mandates.

Ugh, that figures but it sure is discouraging. I wonder if these people have better health insurance than I do or just what. I have a friend who spent 3 weeks in the hospital due to covid, who is healthier than I am. I don't even want to think what that hospital bill would look like. 

Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

You might as well buy a good supply of masks--we'll be wearing them all this year, at least.

Yep I think so too. 

Honored Contributor

Probably because they have so many of them in stock now and also they are doing their part in trying to keep people healthy by keeping the prices down.  

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Saw on news, people gathering for super bowl ,in bars restaurants ignoring mask mandates.

Ugh, that figures but it sure is discouraging. I wonder if these people have better health insurance than I do or just what. I have a friend who spent 3 weeks in the hospital due to covid, who is healthier than I am. I don't even want to think what that hospital bill would look like. 

@happycat @goldensrbest 

I wonder how many superspreader events are happening today.

I passed a large, expensive home less than a mile away today and it took a second to realize why they have a huge tent in their front yard. But I doubt they are going to be watching the game from there. But you never know. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I spent several weeks in the hospital with covid. The bills keep coming and it's overwhelming. I have no idea how I will pay for all of it. I am reaching out for financial help b/c that is my only solution and I am not proud about that but what else can I do...? The financial cost almost doesn't seem real.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I spent several weeks in the hospital with covid. The bills keep coming and it's overwhelming. I have no idea how I will pay for all of it. I am reaching out for financial help b/c that is my only solution and I am not proud about that but what else can I do...? The financial cost almost doesn't seem real.

I am truly sorry @SilleeMee. This is reality and certain dismissive comments on these forums must really be hurtful. Nothing wrong with reaching out for help.

Snowstorm where I live today, I am grateful because it should keep the Super Bowl spread down.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

I've seen a lot of sales on masks also.  Two reasons I can think of.....one, most people have enough masks aleady, and two, many are under the false impression that once vaccinated, there is no need to wear a mask.  We are being told that mask wearing will be in our future for quite awhile, but you know many will feel they are protected (even though it's not 100%) so won't wear them.